Thread: White spot on gum makes me super anxious

White spot on gum makes me super anxious

Hi all,

I've recently had a routine oral exam with the dentist and he said that everything looked good. A few days after the exam stupid me decided to take a look in my mouth, and I noticed a tiny white spot on my gum. It immediately sent me spiraling into the checking and obsessing frenzy. I took a picture of it and sent to my dentist who assured me it didn't look like anything serious. But I can't stop obsessing about it, I fear it is a beginning of oral cancer. After 10 days of this suffering I gave up and scheduled an exam with my dentist, I am going tomorrow to see him in person. In the meantime, I am obsessively browsing pictures of oral cancer instead of doing work

I have a significant history of obsessive going to the doctors regarding moles and spots on my skin, and asking for biopsies. I do NOT want to go that way with my mouth but i don't know how to stop it. Today only I have already checked it so much, my cheek hurts from raising it up. If I don't check it, my anxiety builds up so bad I cannot think of anything else. Every time I go to brush teeth anxiety spikes like crazy, it is torture. Please help. Anyone has any ideas how to stop it? Tomorrow if the dentist says [again] that it is nothing to worry about, how do I accept the diagnosis and not go "dentist shopping"? Thanks so much!

Re: White spot on gum makes me super anxious

This spot is at the very lower end of my gum and it is tiny, about 1mm in diameter. It is hard to see unless I shine a light on it. It does not hurt or bleed, and I cannot feel it at all so it is flat. It just feels like normal gum. I also have a dermatoscope, which is basically just a magnifying glass (10X) with the light, it is for examining moles. I look at the white spot with a dermatoscope and then I can see it well. It is small but it is 100% there and I can't explain what it could be. It doesn't feel like an ulcer or anything infectious. The gum around it is not inflamed. It is driving me absolutely nuts. Sometimes I wish I got amnesia or something, to forget about all this crap. My brain just keeps going "WHAT IF IT IS A VERY EARLY STAGE OF CANCER???" How do you argue with that? We watched a movie yesterday, Luca. I want to tell to my brain, SILENZIO BRUNO!!! Lol

Back from the dentist. Hi said it was a tiny little fistula, 1 of my teeth has a pocket and apparently the pocket got inflamed, filled with pus which made its way through the gum to the outside. He drained the thing, washed it with the antibacterial solution and told me to rinse it twice a day for 2 weeks. He also said that there is literally no way it can be cancerous (I asked 3 times). Now I should feel relieved, right? I wish I did. I am still very anxious about it and think if there is a way that he missed something. Darn anxiety, I hate it so much!!!

Seen these several times in people's mouths over the years it's totally nothing to worry about rest assured its definitely not cancer, your dentist knows what he/she is doing and what to look out for. Glad you got seen and got it sorted 😊Put it to the back of your mind now it's nothing to worry about x

Thank you Debsi. I haven't checked the spot for a few days and today I cannot see it anymore. The spot seems to have gone away with the antibacterial mouthwash rinsing (or maybe simply by itself). Yeah, the dentist was right, as always. This is not the first time I run to him thinking that I have mouth cancer, and he is always so kind and patient with me. I wish my health anxiety has also gone away with the spot, but unfortunately it already moved onto something else.

Thread Information