I am v afraid of leakage from batteries. I find it difficult to dispose of spent ones in the containers provided in supermarkets & usually keep my distance from them.
I urgently need to sort out two v old batteries & dispose of them I went to supermarket to check whether dispenser had sufficient capacity before I brought batteries over. When I looked at the supermarket dispenser it seemed virtually full & I felt v anxious that I could not bring my batteries. I moved closer to it to look at hole at the top of the container to see if there was sufficient room. Someone had put an electronic device in there! I was wearing a hand bag over right shoulder & held it to the front of my body with left hand as I did so. A few minutes later I had a big anxiety spike that the bag may have touched outside of the tall recycling cylinder as I peered at the top part where one puts the batteries.
The next 2 hours tried to rationalise that most batteries disposed there would be ok. If there was any residue of battery alkaline it would be inert.
At home I wiped handbag front with a tissue & continued to use.
I awoke in middle of the night panicking. I wish I had not gone near the container with my handbag. Whenever I dispose batteries I take just the battery and my house key is in my pocket. I broke a safeguard & now feel bag is "contaminated". I still feel upset & anxious despite my efforts.
I rarely post on this site, can any one please offer some useful words of advise.