Thread: oral/gum cancer fear

oral/gum cancer fear

Two months ago I had a dental appointment and mentioned that I had an area of swelling on my gum. The dentist prescribed an antibacterial mouthwash, it didn't seem to help. Today at my cleaning I showed another dentist, and he said it he suspected it was a granuloma and that a periodontist would remove it for me. As a person with severe health anxiety I began to panic. I asked him if he thought it was cancer and he was very nice and assured me in no way was he even considering that as a diagnosis. He then said, the periodontist will send it off anyway, which put me into another set of panic. I asked him again, if he thought it was cancer. He explained that it didn't have a single sign of it being a cancer and that a granuloma is a benign growth like a wart. He said please don't leave worried, as he was not. I can't help but be worried, I guess the scary part is he felt I needed a referral to a periodontist. Earlier this year I had to have tests for a breast lump, which came back benign. I've just had a tough year and this is really scaring me. Just looking for someone who has had this experience.

Re: oral/gum cancer fear

Try not to worry granulomas are nothing to worry about and are not cancer.
    Your dentist knows exactly what to look for and is referring you to the periodontist as their expertise is the gingiva (gums).
    I know it's so hard not to worry but please listen to what your dentist said and he/she gave you lots of reassuriance 😊
    I'm the same if I go to my gp for anything that worrying me and they say it's fine I ask and ask again are they sure lol x

Re: oral/gum cancer fear

Quote Originally Posted by lovemydogs View Post
    Two months ago I had a dental appointment and mentioned that I had an area of swelling on my gum. The dentist prescribed an antibacterial mouthwash, it didn't seem to help. Today at my cleaning I showed another dentist, and he said it he suspected it was a granuloma and that a periodontist would remove it for me. As a person with severe health anxiety I began to panic. I asked him if he thought it was cancer and he was very nice and assured me in no way was he even considering that as a diagnosis. He then said, the periodontist will send it off anyway, which put me into another set of panic. I asked him again, if he thought it was cancer. He explained that it didn't have a single sign of it being a cancer and that a granuloma is a benign growth like a wart. He said please don't leave worried, as he was not. I can't help but be worried, I guess the scary part is he felt I needed a referral to a periodontist. Earlier this year I had to have tests for a breast lump, which came back benign. I've just had a tough year and this is really scaring me. Just looking for someone who has had this experience.
    Sorry you are feeling anxious. It sounds like you have had a tough year and I hope your anxiety stops soon.

I may be wrong but don't they send anything that has been cut off for analysis? Try and relax. feeling anxious will make a tough time worse. Try and find a hobby or something you like to do to take your mind off things. Stay off Google.

6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Thread Information