Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smear test fear

Re: Smear test fear

Quote Originally Posted by LF87 View Post
    I'm well overdue mine and I'm so scared! It's not the physical exam, none of that bothers me. Waiting for results is the worst, and I've not been well with extreme anxiety the past year so I've just ignored my letters. Really need to go
    Yes I understand the waiting is hard causes so much anxiety but please please please book your smear!! I have terrible health anxiety and had it really bad two years ago where I couldn’t do anything I had no life but I started taking control and got better but now this has started fuelling my health anxiety again. I’m trying to not let it win but it’s so hard.
    Just remember you are not alone, we are all going through the same fears when getting our smears but it is something that we must do to prevent us developing possible cervical cancer and I think you would rather have a few weeks worrying waiting for results then months and months of prodding and treatments for cancer, that’s how I am looking at it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzymoon86 View Post
    I have a smear booked on Monday and I am so nervous! I’m 35 so I’ve had a few smears (never missed one!) I had abnormal cells when I was 28 but two normal smears since then but I’m still feeling panicky! I want to have another baby but told my partner it can’t happen until I’ve had the all clear from my next smear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey I know you had your smear appointment yesterday was wondering how it went? Hope it wasn’t too stressful for you.

Finding it so hard to relax and not think about my upcoming smear test. Keep worrying that they might find something wrong or the results will come back with something wrong :( i still have 2 weeks until my smear and it’s driving me crazy with all the overthinking.
    I looked at my last smear result letter and they sent it out just over a week after I had my smear which was a negative result. I hope it’s as quick this time.
    I worry because In 2019 I had some bleeding between periods two months after having my son I know it was probably to do with hormones after just having a baby but I was sent for ultrasounds internally and externally which showed nothing. My cervix was checked and I was told it looked healthy but that I had cervical ectropion which can cause bleeding. I’m scared maybe it was actually something more serious that has been mistaken and this time my cervix will show something worse that has spread, although I’ve not had any further bleeding problems since it all stopped 6 months after having my son my body seemed to settle down and go back to normal.
    Why do our minds bring us to such dark places?! I can’t enjoy nothing I’m supposed to be planning for my daughters 11th birthday but all I can think about is this smear test :’(

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyGirl30 View Post
    I looked at my last smear result letter and they sent it out just over a week after I had my smear which was a negative result. I hope it’s as quick this time.
    I worry because In 2019 I had some bleeding between periods two months after having my son I know it was probably to do with hormones after just having a baby but I was sent for ultrasounds internally and externally which showed nothing. My cervix was checked and I was told it looked healthy but that I had cervical ectropion which can cause bleeding. I’m scared maybe it was actually something more serious that has been mistaken and this time my cervix will show something worse that has spread, although I’ve not had any further bleeding problems since it all stopped 6 months after having my son my body seemed to settle down and go back to normal.
    Remove the HA dialogue and you're left with the facts - as in what's real. You had an issue which is common after giving birth and your body has healed itself. Your tests have been clear. There is no valid reason to think that you have a disease..
    Why do our minds bring us to such dark places?!
    Because you're allowing it to do so.

Because we all have a natural negative bias (there to keep us alive)

Because you haven't successfully addressed your health anxiety.

Because. Because. Because..

I can’t enjoy nothing I’m supposed to be planning for my daughters 11th birthday but all I can think about is this smear test :’(
    Your daughter's birthday is real. Your fears are imagined. Your imaginary fears will fade once you get the all clear but your daughter will always remember her 11th birthday..

You're a mother first and always. Do not allow health anxiety to ruin this day for your daughter and for you. You have a choice here. Those thoughts will always come but you don't have to react with fear..

Get bolshy with the blighter. 'I see you there, fear, but you're lying to me and I'm not going to allow you to overwhelm me. I am going to concentrate on my daughter. You do what you like!'

You get me?

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Remove the HA dialogue and you're left with the facts - as in what's real. You had an issue which is common after giving birth and your body has healed itself. Your tests have been clear. There is no valid reason to think that you have a disease..

Because you're allowing it to do so.

Because we all have a natural negative bias (there to keep us alive)

Because you haven't successfully addressed your health anxiety.

Because. Because. Because..

Your daughter's birthday is real. Your fears are imagined. Your imaginary fears will fade once you get the all clear but your daughter will always remember her 11th birthday..

You're a mother first and always. Do not allow health anxiety to ruin this day for your daughter and for you. You have a choice here. Those thoughts will always come but you don't have to react with fear..

Get bolshy with the blighter. 'I see you there, fear, but you're lying to me and I'm not going to allow you to overwhelm me. I am going to concentrate on my daughter. You do what you like!'

You get me?
    Thank you for you reply. Breaking it all down like that has really helped me look at things differently. I’m going to try and out the appointment to the back of my mind until the actual day.

Hello,
    I have my smear test next week and the waiting for it has been really crap on my anxiety. Being on my period hasn’t helped because that causes my anxiety to be even worse. I’ve withdrawn into myself and can’t be bothered with anything. I don't want to talk to anyone, I don’t want people around me or anything. My partner has now noticed my change in behaviour he knows why I'm acting like this but still asks me why. I don’t tell him anything anymore because it’s the usual thing of your overreacting worrying for nothing and will just cause an argument.
    I feel so alone atm I have nobody to talk to that’s why it helps me to write things down here to get it of my chest otherwise it stays bottled up inside and I end up feeling like I’m going to have a breakdown.
    My partner has been constantly working 6am until 10pm so I’m home all day on my own with the kids, one of them is severely autistic and is such hard work he constantly has me on edge so it doesn’t help. Sometimes I just want a few minutes to myself just silence so I can get my thoughts together.
    The thing I’m worried most about with the smear test is the nurse seeing something wrong with my cervix especially because I have been told back in 2019 that I have cervical ectropion I'm getting worried that maybe it wasn’t ectropion and it was something worse. I don’t want to go for my test to be told something doesn’t look right because that will worry me even more whilst waiting for my results. As long as the smear test goes normal and she doesn’t mention anything I will be fine. Im just petrified she will see something not right :(
    I’ve had 3 smears since 25 and I’m now 34 this will be my 4th smear. The previous ones have all gone fine and everything has been normal. I didn’t have health anxiety back then I was normal lol
    Anyway this isn’t a post for reassurance it’s just a post to help me get things out it really does help to write it all down.
    Bye for now. I will probably be back again soon when things get to much for me again.

Two more days more my smear test. Still feeling nervous and worried. I just hope all goes ok. I don’t want anything to go wrong because my anxiety will be way to much for me to handle. I’ve already made myself ill with it :(

Keep yourself as busy and distracted as you can. You can do this.

Completely understand where you are coming from. I get like this with my mammogram. I watch others go for these annual check ups with no worries and I literally just shut down beforehand and don’t like to make plans for after because I’m always convinced that this will be it.

Your anxious mind is taking over and telling you that things will be bad and that you will not be able to cope. None of this is true. In this moment, you have no evidence to suggest that your smear won’t be normal, so try to hold on to that. Just keep reminding yourself that today you have nothing to worry about. Try to focus on that instead of letting yourself think catastrophic thoughts. The anxiety will take your mind a million places but try to come back to what you know.

Thinking of you!

Yes I have been I don’t really have time but to be busy with 3 kids 😂

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information