Thread: Panicking about pet ownership

Panicking about pet ownership

After suffering with severe anxiety, health anxiety, and depression most of last year I'm finally starting to do better. I'm being more social and trying new things! I had been interested in owning a pet for a while. I really wanted to keep hamsters but my apartment only allows cats. So I looked into cat ownership more and followed a few organizations in my area. I went to an event last weekend and the organization really needed people so they signed me up on site and even gave me a big pile of all the supplies to get started. They said they would email me later in the week to set up a pickup for my cat.

Almost immediately I started thinking "what have I done," I didn't really feel prepared to own a cat yet and I regretted having them talk me into signing up right away. I had panic attacks every day this week worrying about it. I was terrified of the thought of being responsible for something, having a living creature in my safe living space, what happens if I panic and can't take care of it, etc. When I told a friend I was nervous she just laughed and said "taking care of a cat is really easy don't worry." They don't understand anything new is terrifying to me with my anxiety. The organization was incommunicative most of the week which made me more scared because of the uncertainty. Finally I emailed them and said I changed my mind.

I have to bring the supplies back tomorrow. I just feel so ashamed and embarrassed that I couldn't handle it, I'm dreading going back to the pet store tomorrow to return the adoption kit. I honestly contemplated hiring a delivery driver to take it back for me so I don't have to face the adoption coordinator. Before I was excited and told people I was happy to adopt and then as soon as it was a reality I freaked out! I talked to my therapist and she said she agreed fostering with that organization doesn't sound right for me at the moment but she encouraged me to sign up for more short term fostering program with the humane society, which has a program with a lot of support for new pet owners.

I have been struggling a bit in other areas as well, thinking of dropping a class because I'm falling behind and I feel overwhelmed with all the social engagements I'm starting to have. I want to crawl into my bed and stay there for weeks, guess I wasn't doing as well as I thought.

Re: Panicking about pet ownership

I'm sorry to hear this As a cat owner I can affirm they are easy to take care of and would offer you love and companionship and actually be good for your anxiety. I can tell you from personal experience that cats are a great chill animal and help you relax. We've had our boy for over 10 years and let me tell you, after a long day at work, nothing is more pleasant than coming home and having him curl up in my lap purring while he gets pets and scratches When I was going through cancer treatment, he was by my side the entire time and offered love and comfort. I encourage you to foster. You may just find the purrfect friend and companion and you'll be helping kitties in need as well.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I am sorry you are going through this. I’m also going through a super stressful period so I don’t have too much to offer, it I wanted to say it’s normal to feel that way. I’ve gone through “blues” with every new pet. My last dog it was really bad, because he had severe behavior problems. He still has many challenges, but I can’t imagine life without him. I’m on vacation right now and am super stressed and homesick anyway but I hardcore miss him.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

I wanted to update this. I did join the fostering program and I ended up with a cat that was having trouble getting adopted. She’s really sweet and I decided to adopt her permanently. As soon as I did so, the “pet blues” came back and I started panicking about what commitment I had signed up for, and wondering if this cat is really the right match for me. I hope I adjust since overall it really has been good for my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Librella View Post
    I wanted to update this. I did join the fostering program and I ended up with a cat that was having trouble getting adopted. She’s really sweet and I decided to adopt her permanently. As soon as I did so, the “pet blues” came back and I started panicking about what commitment I had signed up for, and wondering if this cat is really the right match for me. I hope I adjust since overall it really has been good for my anxiety.
    Congrats on the fur baby! You'll both adjust for sure.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Any updates? I hope it went / is going well. I’m glad to hear that overall it’s been good for your anxiety (so far). We recently asked my mother to try with a cat, to help with her mental health. She didn’t want to, she freaked out - even at the thought of taking it for a day or two. It’s a shame as this cat would have been easy to care for and I truly believe it would have helped her, as she loves cats, and has had them all her life - until this point. She also lives alone / is lonely and he would have been company.. but alas..

Thread Information