Thread: Rectal cancer worries

Rectal cancer worries

My second time posting in last 12 months. I have a feeling of dull ache in rectal area that I have on and off over day and that is worse when sitting. No rectal bleeding that I have seen and I did a home FIT test this week that showed as negative. Occasionally this feeling changes into more of a feeling of needing to pee. Oddly, it goes away when sleeping and seems to appear after waking. The feeling is sometimes like needing to have a number two. I usually have one bowel movement shortly after waking, but since this has been happening, I can have one (that is a little softer than normal) and then perhaps one or two more across the morning. I am 52 years old
    and as a lifelong health anxiety sufferer, have again naturally leapt to worst conclusion that this is some sort of rectal or anal tumour. Also - no abdominal pain, quite a lot of gas upon waking and of note perhaps - started taking a broad spectrum probiotic supplement daily about three weeks ago. Any advice or insights would be much appreciated.

Re: Rectal cancer worries

sounds like piles to me but get the doctor to check.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

It doesn’t at all sound like rectal cancer, which would involve bleeding. Are you male or female?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    It doesn’t at all sound like rectal cancer, which would involve bleeding. Are you male or female?
    I’m male

Hi again - my anxiety around this has spiked again tonight and I have made the fatal error of googling extensively. Does anyone have any advice on what this could be? Would internal hemorrhoids cause these symptoms (with no rectal bleeding)? I think the absence of bleeding is the thing that’s bothering me and I wonder whether rectal / anal cancer can present with no bleeding, just discomfort? I know I should just go to the doctor but I’m terrified they would just confirm my worst fears. Also, is the fact that the symptoms disappear while asleep perhaps an indicator that this is anxiety-based?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilfred51 View Post
    Hi again - my anxiety around this has spiked again tonight and I have made the fatal error of googling extensively.
    Zero sympathy here I'm afraid. You know where Googling gets you!

Would internal hemorrhoids cause these symptoms (with no rectal bleeding)?
    Yes. And you'll have seen this with your extensive Googling but your brain will have bypassed it and homed in on terminal cancer..

I think the absence of bleeding is the thing that’s bothering me and I wonder whether rectal / anal cancer can present with no bleeding, just discomfort?
    I've had piles since 1988 and only one episode of bleeding (this year) which was most likely due to a fissure as I could feel something like a paper cut?

I know I should just go to the doctor but I’m terrified they would just confirm my worst fears.
    Your GP will snap on the latex gloves and have a good root around your rectum. If you have piles, they will find them. You're not bleeding so there are no red flags to warrant urgent imaging. Or any imaging at all..

To my knowledge, cancer doesn't take a kip?

My question is, do you spend a lot of time sitting down? Cycling etc? Because this can put pressure on nerves down there which can feel like there's somat up ya butt but in fact, it's referred from elsewhere. This has happened to me..

Also, is the fact that the symptoms disappear while asleep perhaps an indicator that this is anxiety-based?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nora - that’s helpful and yes I do
    spend a lot of time sitting (much more than usual as now working from home). I find that these “spikes” in HA tend to correlate with stressful life events (eg buying a house) - the last one I had a year ago, convinced I had oesophageal cancer. Turned out to be mild gastritis and hiatal hernia. Always though the mind tells you that this is the time it’s going to be for real. So exhausting and all-consuming. Appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilfred51 View Post
    Thanks Nora - that’s helpful and yes I do
    spend a lot of time sitting (much more than usual as now working from home). I find that these “spikes” in HA tend to correlate with stressful life events (eg buying a house) - the last one I had a year ago, convinced I had oesophageal cancer. Turned out to be mild gastritis and hiatal hernia. Always though the mind tells you that this is the time it’s going to be for real. So exhausting and all-consuming. Appreciate your help.
    Buy yourself an orthopaedic cushion to sit on. Mine helps me enormously. Also, set a timer for 40 minutes to remind to you to get up and move around. I had to have physio for my issue (which felt like there was a golf ball lodged in my buttock) and it was purely from sitting down for long periods..

Thread Information