Thread: Finally started the Beta Blocker today

Finally started the Beta Blocker today

I have been struggling almost daily with PVCs. Confirmed through halter and diagnosed benign after a normal echo. The doctor gave me Metropol back in April because they made me so anxious. I did my best not to take them tried the dieting/exercise. Some changed helped and some weeks were better than others. However my life is sort of in turmoil my father has aggressive cancer and I am managing his care. So these little devils have gotten bad again. I bit the bullet today and took the beta blocker even though medicine scares me. I am on 25 mg to start and I am hoping that is enough. So far today I have had some but they def feel less forceful and my anxiety about them seems less from that. Can anyone tell me about their success with these? And how long did you stay on them? Please no negative stories about these meds I need to give them a real try because I am not accepting these as harmless.

Re: Finally started the Beta Blocker today

I've been on beta blockers since my 1st heart attack in 2007. Other than some dosage changes I've been fine. The only side effect I get is breathlessness when I exert myself too much but that's not unusual as the med prevents your heart from working too hard. They're designed to prevent your heart from working too hard so it makes sense.

From an anxiety standpoint, they're used to quell the physical reaction to panic so yeah, they'll prevent your heart from having as strong a physical reaction to panic and anxiety.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Finally started the Beta Blocker today

Quote Originally Posted by serina View Post
    I have been struggling almost daily with PVCs. Confirmed through halter and diagnosed benign after a normal echo. The doctor gave me Metropol back in April because they made me so anxious. I did my best not to take them tried the dieting/exercise. Some changed helped and some weeks were better than others. However my life is sort of in turmoil my father has aggressive cancer and I am managing his care. So these little devils have gotten bad again. I bit the bullet today and took the beta blocker even though medicine scares me. I am on 25 mg to start and I am hoping that is enough. So far today I have had some but they def feel less forceful and my anxiety about them seems less from that. Can anyone tell me about their success with these? And how long did you stay on them? Please no negative stories about these meds I need to give them a real try because I am not accepting these as harmless.
    Starting a beta blocker is one of the best things I've ever done for my anxiety, in terms of physical sensations that used to scare me. I've been on 25mg Atenolol since July 2015 (yes, the same dosage, never changed). Of course I can and do still experience palpitations, but the tachycardia episodes are nonexistent outside of severe panic attacks. Overall I feel so much better since I started taking the med.

I've personally not experienced any side effects. I have tried to come off of it before, more than once. I'm more active than I used to be, I eat better than before, etc. But I can't do it. I recently skipped a dose on accident, and I thought "oh well, maybe it'll help me realize that I can stop taking it altogether." Bad idea. Just playing a bit of keyboard/piano for 5 minutes, and my heart rate was 120 BPM. I took the med and everything was back to normal.

I've accepted that I'll probably have to take it for the rest of my life. Whatever. It means I'll feel more comfortable, and it can help (along with lifestyle changes) to keep my blood pressure in check.

Thread Information