Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop snobbery

Re: Shop snobbery

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Well, I didn't want my breakfast anyway..
    I know people like ripping their jeans or buying ones made to look worn but Lenco is taking it way too far with that coat!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well, despite me prefacing my last post with an advance warning, I really hope I haven't triggered people like Phil with the mention of bins where I discarded the offending coat or even put certain people on here off charity shops for life even though this was some 20 years ago.

Even though I did post with utmost caution, I can still remove said post if anyone finds it so objectionable, please just say so and rest assured it will be gone.

Also, I wasn't having a bash at all charity shops per se as most are pretty good, and do comply with the usual protocol, it's just the odd ones with clueless staff/volunteers that occasionally let below par items slip through the net from the stock room to the main shop floor for sale.

But I guess any shop of any kind will always have the odd staff member of whom is not really fit for the job, which as we all know can happen in pretty much every kind of profession.
    You won't upset phil. It's his own bin that's the issue as he fears items touching it and becoming contaminated. Even then it's not so much the germs as the thought of imperfection. General contamination does grab his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Well, despite me prefacing my last post with an advance warning, I really hope I haven't triggered people like Phil with the mention of bins where I discarded the offending coat or even put certain people on here off charity shops for life even though this was some 20 years ago.
    Lenco, this entire forum is FULL OF TRIGGERS. Don't be going down that road. I was joking - hence the emoji.

Also, I wasn't having a bash at all charity shops per se as most are pretty good, and do comply with the usual protocol, it's just the odd ones with clueless staff/volunteers that occasionally let below par items slip through the net from the stock room to the main shop floor for sale.
    Some chazzer shops are pits. But I can usually suss these out from the outside as I am very sensory in the nasal department..

3/4 of the clothes in my wardrobe are from charity shops and I get lots of compliments. Plus, I'm totes smug face because I've paid a fraction of what they're worth and I'm helping out charities. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    Lenco, this entire forum is FULL OF TRIGGERS. Don't be going down that road. I was joking - hence the emoji.

Some chazzer shops are pits. But I can usually suss these out from the outside as I am very sensory in the nasal department..

3/4 of the clothes in my wardrobe are from charity shops and I get lots of compliments. Plus, I'm totes smug face because I've paid a fraction of what they're worth and I'm helping out charities. It's all good.
    I can also suss out 'iffy' shops by simply looking through the windows from outside, whose tell-tale signs are usually not having been decorated/refitted for the past 20+ years and seemingly stuck in a timewarp, and in some cases (and increasingly since about the mid-2000s) shops whose units are on a temporary lease whilst still containing their tatty old worn carpets patched up with bits of gaffer tape here and there and/or extremely outdated general decor, plus of course only half the light fittings working.

Whilst I fully understand that money has become increasingly tight for many over the past 15 years or so, there are certain businesses and individuals who do appear to be extremely lazy and indifferent towards their general image and appearance, even if they do happen to have sufficient funds to rectify issues.

This afternoon, instead of watching the usual Christmas Day TV, which most other people are probably doing right now, I have been having nostalgic peeks at old archived threads on Digital Spy, and came across a thread from early 2008 that was really slagging off Argos, that was obviously written by someone with a bit of a snobby attitude at the time.

I know 2008 is quite a long time ago now, hence why I didn't feel mega guilty over chuckling at said thread, even though I could sense a fair amount of c*@v-bashing going on, albeit in a fairly subtle manner. The OP of said thread was also ranting and raving about his local store almost always being out of stock of a lot of the items he wanted to buy and the staff often didn't bother to order any of the things he specifically wanted, in which he then accused the company of 'false advertising'. So shop staff with 'can't be @rsed' attitudes aren't just a problem of today then?

On the other hand, other posters on said thread also mentioned that in its earlier period (70s and 80s), Argos was rather ahead of its time in many ways, and it's catalogues (especially during the Christmas season) were often affectionately dubbed 'the book(s) of dreams'!

Shame they published their last-ever printed catalogue about a year ago, but I guess they, like a lot of other conventional 'printed' publications, were already increasingly outmoded due to the advent of the Internet, etc, even pre-pandemic.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 25-12-21 at 16:55.

I cannot believe it's Christmas day and you're still complaining about stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    I cannot believe it's Christmas day and you're still complaining about stuff.
    Not necessarily, actually laughing and joking about someone bemoaning Argos back in 2008, and also realising that some things weren't much different to today back then, hence the old expression 'twas ever thus'!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information