Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Work

Work

I posted about this a few weeks back but it got detailed about covid so wanting to chat about my work only. My work had a fire in warehouse large retail shop. I refused to work so got put to another shop but have to get a bus. My worry was the fire smell can cause cancer and asthma. I was offered a job in the new store I was working but I said I would wait and see. They are cleaning warehouse this week and putting dehumidifiers to take smell out. So I am looking for guidance from people on what to do? Use transport more more cost see more people COVID risk maybe? Or stay put but the shop smells of cigarettes smoke so what do I do? I have been told these smells can linger for a while? I was annoyed they are not doing a full refit?

Re: Work

The shops insurance company will not want any liability for any future illness, they will have made sure what is done satisfies them.
    As for public transport that's purely your choice to make as you have the opportunity to remain at the existing shop or move to the new one. You are in the most vulnerable group as you have no extra defence against covid.
    We can't choose for you.

But will the smell of smoke go? That’s my worry?

I can't really add any more to what spectrum123 has said, Phil.

I'm afraid you have a difficult decision to make, and only you can do that. A third alternative of course is to seek alternative employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I can't really add any more to what spectrum123 has said, Phil.

I'm afraid you have a difficult decision to make, and only you can do that. A third alternative of course is to seek alternative employment.
    Yeah I have a telephone interview on Thursday but it’s for a one day a week job not full new job. It’s a difficult call for me I don’t want to over react but the smell of smoke isn’t too nice?

Million dollar question is will the smell of fag smoke go with the dehumidifiers?

I have been feeling anxious as unable to make choice I really dislike the smoke smell and worry the smell won’t leave for a while so been tempted just to leave? Any tips?

I have been feeling anxious as I have been able to make a choice. I realise maybe I don’t need to make a choice yet warehouse is cleaned tomorrow but if the smell lingers for say 2 months or maybe longer I may struggle with that as there isn’t many doors in shop to get fresh air. I keep going over the fire in my head and if I have to move I keep asking why it happened but know it’s something I can’t help. Had it got a refit or new shop i would have been ok. I tried to chat to existing staff about it and they are not happy either but none want to move shops yet. I have been making myself anxious over it as I can’t come to a choice?

I guess if I decided to leave I could get use to getting bus again. Problem is this week I am in other store but they have not told me my shifts it’s all the uncertainty. And also fact nobody can be sure smell will go. They are getting dehumidifiers but I am unsure how effective they will be. Like I say I went in and shop smells so bad I doubt customers will be happy. I
    enjoyed staying local to shop but people said I may always smell the smoke even when smell goes and I am unsure if I wanna wait around waiting for smell to vanish?

But yes it’s the change and uncertainty bad for my anxiety but like covid no easy answers. I am not expecting someone to decide for me but maybe there is an easier way to decide or somebody can suggest something?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    Million dollar question is will the smell of fag smoke go with the dehumidifiers?
    Whilst I can reason with the fact that the smell is very similar, how can it be fag smoke since no one has officially smoked in shops and the like for donkeys years now?

As for the dehumidifiers getting rid of the smell, it's a case of 'how long is a piece of string?'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    Whilst I can reason with the fact that the smell is very similar, how can it be fag smoke since no one has officially smoked in shops and the like for donkeys years now?
    Errrr... the cigarettes were part of the stock?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information