Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going tomorrow for a covid test

Re: Going tomorrow for a covid test

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    Thank you. I wish I could stay at my house but we had to rip out my bathroom. So I have to stay with them. We are wearing masks around each other and I’m trying to be as isolated as possible, which I hope will be enough.

It’s funny, a few weeks ago I had another trip but didn’t have any of this worry, who knows why. Maybe news about delta being more contagious triggered me?
    I'm sure it would have done. I'm sorry your birthday weekend turned out to be so frightening and stressful. I think in future you should stick to your guns and do what YOU want. Don't always try and please others particularly when they want to tell you what to do?

My daughter would be terrified about passing on anything to me too but I would want her to be with me. You are doing all you can to minimise risk even if there is one. I'm glad you're back on familiar territory, so to speak and I hope you can sleep and eat well in the coming days just to recover from your ordeal

So it looks like tomorrow at 11 am I can get tested. I am very nervous but am hoping that it brings some relief.

I currently feel a bit better, eating has really helped. I still have a bad taste in my mouth, which apparently might be dry mouth/anxiety? I am also still constantly smelling things and wondering if they are supposed to smell that way or if they should smell more strongly than they do, wondering if my sense is diminished. I occasionally have to clear my throat/cough but it seems to be very much in my throat and not like there is stuff in my chest so maybe that's a good sign? I'm hoping that the cough is from smoke, which is present, especially as both of my parents have cough/congestion too. Of course, they had both before I went away which would make me feel less guilty if it were covid but not any less terrified.

I had a Zoom meeting with my office today and they were talking about someone who works on campus that was vaccinated and has Delta, he's fine but has bad flu-like symptoms, which didn't make me feel better. Luckily I don't have to go back into the office until September.
    Last edited by .Poppy.; 03-08-21 at 18:50.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

I was going to do a drive through saliva test but couldn’t find the people in the lot, so I came to urgent care. She’s doing the test right now. They also took a sample to send to the health department because I’m vaccinated and they’ve seen a lot of breakthrough cases.

I should know in a few minutes which is both comforting and truly awful.

I did a lateral flow test today for the first time, out of courtesy to the people I visited.

I'm now terrified I've done myself serious harm with the swab because I think I pushed it too far up my nose...

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I did a lateral flow test today for the first time, out of courtesy to the people I visited.

I'm now terrified I've done myself serious harm with the swab because I think I pushed it too far up my nose...
    Oh, it was definitely not a good feeling

My test was negative! But they say that procedure is to send rapid tests off to the lab for a PCR just to be sure, so I still have to isolate and still have a few days left to worry.

You'd think that would be the end of anxiety, but is it ever with anxiety? Now I'm just contending with: maybe I just didn't have enough of a viral load today to show positive but would have tomorrow, maybe I caught covid by going into the urgent care center, maybe I'll catch it at the wedding I have in a couple of weeks, etc. etc. It's going to be hard to get that under control.

Well, that's good news Poppy!

Interesting approach compared to the UK. Here, if you have no symptoms you can only get a PCR test if you pay for it. Lateral Flow tests however, are free (for the moment) - I picked up a pack of seven from the local pharmacy the other day.

How the NHS does it is here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona.../test-results/

I suppose us anxious folks will inevitably seek and find the one case where a nasal swab has caused problems...

I think here all of the tests are free. It seems really backwards as health care in the US is usually $$$$ but I think because our vax rates are so low and people are just denying/don't care, they just want people to get tested to try to monitor spread.

Poppy I had symptoms my rapid test was positive, done deal.
    I'm sure you're fine.

What a miserable thing we are living through.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    Poppy I had symptoms my rapid test was positive, done deal.
    I'm sure you're fine.

What a miserable thing we are living through.
    Isn't it just. I met my stage IV bowel cancer survivor friend today and he attended a couple of meetings related to a shared hobby we have in the last fortnight: apart from the recent heavy storms we've been having hitting them both, he said how much he enjoyed just getting out of the house to meet friends and do something other than shopping or hospital trips.

I had a nice chat with someone I only vaguely knew until today; turns out he was a portrait photographer of some note. I liked what became his official portrait of the Queen.

Same old anxiety traps, Poppy. Maybe the test missed, perhaps they did it wrong, test messed up at the lab, etc.

So the same methods to tackle anxiety, and health & testing themes, will help here. Look at the facts, look at the possibilities, the outcomes and reframe a conclusion. Then distract and get back on with your day.

Easier said than done but the chances everything is fine, that a medical grade test performs as expected, greatly outweigh what our thoughts are trying to alert us to. And even if you get Covid how vulnerable are you? Jabbed means far less likely to have complications too.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information