Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will my niece get tinnitus from a balloon pop?

Re: Will my niece get tinnitus from a balloon pop?

Nobody can. However, common sense would suggest not.

If balloons were dangerous they would come with warnings, because balloon manufacturers would get sued otherwise.

Please also bear in mind that this isn't a forum for balloon experts, it's a forum where anxiety sufferers try their best to help out other anxiety sufferers, on their own time and completely unpaid. Snapping at people because you don't get the response you want to hear is very rude indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Nobody can. However, common sense would suggest not.

If balloons were dangerous they would come with warnings, because balloon manufacturers would get sued otherwise.

Please also bear in mind that this isn't a forum for balloon experts, it's a forum where anxiety sufferers try their best to help out other anxiety sufferers, on their own time and completely unpaid. Snapping at people because you don't get the response you want to hear is very rude indeed.
    Saying no without explaining in more detail is not not what a forum is for, and saying no is not trying their best LOL, and telling me i am rude is not going to achieve anything here. You guys are the rude ones. I've been on here 10 years and not one person till this year has gotten fed up with my questions. Wherever fishmanpa goes you follow. Happends on my other two threads too.

Okay, I'll bite. FMP is somebody I respect greatly on here, and yes, if somebody's rude to him I'll more than likely join the thread.

None of this changes the fact that his was a sensible response to a ludicrous question. I've been explaining why your question is ludicrous, but apparently that isn't what you want to hear.

Please believe me when I say I've asked my own share of ridiculous questions over the years, and yes, sometimes being told I'm talking rubbish has been both helpful and reassuring.

I'm 35 and starting suffering from mild tinnitus 5 years ago after 10 years solid of playing gigs on drums and guitar, often playing in small high volume venues with no ear protection. However I have a friend who's 44 and has played in bands and gigs since he was a teenager and has no ear issues. A few months ago I pumped up a bike tyre in the garage, which was staring to weaken, it then exploded in my face, resulting in ringing that last 1-2 hours.

Long term tinnitus from a balloon pop is unheard of. If it was an issue there would be more warnings about balloons and little children.

You know what Ben? You really are the one being rude here. Your question and fear is frankly ridiculous. Kids have been playing with and popping balloons for fun since they've been on the market. As far as saying 'no' without knowledge of it? It's not about Dr. Google research, it's about common sense which apparently has escaped you at the moment. Tell you what, find me an actual documented medical case where a child developed tinnitus from one popped balloon and I'll publicly apologize.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by MrLurcher View Post
    I'm 35 and starting suffering from mild tinnitus 5 years ago after 10 years solid of playing gigs on drums and guitar, often playing in small high volume venues with no ear protection. However I have a friend who's 44 and has played in bands and gigs since he was a teenager and has no ear issues. A few months ago I pumped up a bike tyre in the garage, which was staring to weaken, it then exploded in my face, resulting in ringing that last 1-2 hours.

Long term tinnitus from a balloon pop is unheard of. If it was an issue there would be more warnings about balloons and little children.
    Is it difficult to live with?

Very good reply, appreciate it, thank you.

JustBenn - your niece may have had some temporary tinnitus from the balloon pop and by temporary I mean 10-15 seconds. But nothing permanent. Tinnitus is not harmful and does not lead to hearing loss. It would be highly unlikely she had any kind of hearing loss from one balloon pop. Balloons are popping at kid's parties all the time and other than a few tears there is no damage done. Generally hearing loss comes from long term exposure (jack hammers, rock bands). For there to be damage from any short term exposure it would have to be extremely loud, much louder than a balloon pop. And even at that, not all extremely loud short term noises cause damage.

I'm sorry to read that some people are being rude to you. Everyone has different fears and no one should be made to feel foolish or belittled just because someone else thinks this fear is ridiculous. You asked a legitimate question and you deserve respect, not bullying.

Why are people making accusations of bullying?

Yes, anxiety makes people believe silly things. There's nothing wrong with pointing out that they're silly - developing and using our critical faculties is an important skill to help us cope with the adult world. I'm not always very good at it, but I know that anxiety makes me believe silly things and I'm more than happy to accept being told this because I'd rather listen to people who are more functional than I am.

Stepping away now because I don't want to cause any more hurt and honestly, I'm feeling kind of upset myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyPicnic View Post
    JustBenn - your niece may have had some temporary tinnitus from the balloon pop and by temporary I mean 10-15 seconds. But nothing permanent. Tinnitus is not harmful and does not lead to hearing loss. It would be highly unlikely she had any kind of hearing loss from one balloon pop. Balloons are popping at kid's parties all the time and other than a few tears there is no damage done. Generally hearing loss comes from long term exposure (jack hammers, rock bands). For there to be damage from any short term exposure it would have to be extremely loud, much louder than a balloon pop. And even at that, not all extremely loud short term noises cause damage.

I'm sorry to read that some people are being rude to you. Everyone has different fears and no one should be made to feel foolish or belittled just because someone else thinks this fear is ridiculous. You asked a legitimate question and you deserve respect, not bullying.
    Its not bullying telling someone something they do not want to hear. OP is getting upset and lashing out over nothing. You dont get hearing loss from a ballon! He is being silly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information