Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying to UK for wedding… scared!

Flying to UK for wedding… scared!

I’m unsure which forum this is best suited to. I have GAD and social anxiety AND health anxiety (mostly covid related right now). There’s a friend’s wedding at the end of the month and I’d really like to go (my husband is best man), but I’ve been mostly inside since March 2020 since I work at home and am disabled. The thought of flying, going through the airport, staying at hotels, seeing family is scary enough, never mind the wedding! Because UK has opened everything up and says masks aren’t needed, I’m convinced I’ll catch covid. Right now, I’ve had 1 pfizer jab. I’m due my next one 2 weeks before the trip… it’s really close to the wire.

i wish I had more time to adjust. I’m trying to get myself out there now, seeing friends and catching up on doctors appointments, but I don’t feel ready to eat at a restaurant until I’m double jabbed. Not sure how I’m going to cope with a wedding! My anxiety manifests as IBS, and I’m certain my social anxiety will be so bad (since I’m so out of practice) that I’ll get an attack and have to leave the venue to rest.

I’d talk to my therapist about this but she is currently on vacation so I have to make the decision ASAP of whether or not to go It came up the last time I spoke to her and it seemed like she really wanted me to go. I want to have fun and forget all these worries, but they’re all at the front of my mind. I’ve worked so hard this last year I could really use a break and getting out of the house… My mind tells me all these things but my heart just doesn’t believe it

I continue to wear my mask outside of my house, but besides the wedding ceremony, it appears the whole event will be maskless (my friends have expressed annoyance that they have to wear masks during the ceremony). I think a big part of my fear is differences of attitudes between UK and Germany. To me, it seems like the UK is a plague island (sorry). I don’t believe the UK covid numbers right now either as I don’t trust the UK government. Hard to believe the numbers would go down since july 19th. There is also pressure from my husband since he is best man. He was able to be fully vaccinated earlier than me, so he’s feeling more ready to do the trip and go and see people. I don’t want to hold him back anymore but I’ll be scared he’ll catch covid if he goes.

i feel so stuck

Re: Flying to UK for wedding… scared!

I'd stay away from the UK if I were you. You're not the only German resident I know of that calls the UK a "plague island".

I don't really have any good advice, but I can totally sympathize. I am currently going through a major covid anxiety scare after seeing friends this past weekend, and I have a friend getting married in a couple of weeks. I am a bridesmaid so there's not really an option to back out and not go, and I'm sure there will be absolutely no masks there. I am vaccinated, but that doesn't seem to help my anxiety at all.

I would say do what makes you comfortable. If you go and spend the entire time miserable and the next few weeks afraid of having gotten sick, that's no way to be - trust me.
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Where abouts are you coming to? There are quite different infection levels around the country. Also where I am you still see more people with masks than without inside.

Also regarding the travel. My brother and sister-in-law lived in Germany a long time and my sister-in-law had serious issues with flying so they would often drive over. This would greatly reduce the risk of picking it up on the plane or public transport.

Plus you'll have had both jabs by the time you come over.

Honestly, I don't work for the tourist board! And I do completely understand your opinion of the British government.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Also regarding the travel. My brother and sister-in-law lived in Germany a long time and my sister-in-law had serious issues with flying so they would often drive over. This would greatly reduce the risk of picking it up on the plane or public transport.
    I certainly wouldn't do it now, but a little over 20 years ago I drove from Munich to East Anglia in a day, and avoided Stuttgart on my friend's recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I certainly wouldn't do it now, but a little over 20 years ago I drove from Munich to East Anglia in a day, and avoided Stuttgart on my friend's recommendation!
    It's definitely a long journey personally I would find it tough in one stretch - I would definitely break it up. They found it not too bad though.

Personally I would stay put and let your husband go. It's just not worth it and we ARE a plague island.

Good advice. I know if I don’t go, I’ll also be pretty miserable. Really can’t decide which is the lesser of the evils.

I’m going to NW UK which I hear is pretty bad. As for driving, we’ve done that in the past but we have to stop overnight as it’s too much to do in a day. But the bigger issue is requiring a covid test in france by a french doctor. The UK only last week recognised vaccinations from EU and US so before that we had to quarantine 10days on arrival, which was longer than our trip. I’m unsure if there’s testing at the Euro tunnel... but my biggest fear is the wedding tbh :(

Do you actually want to go to the wedding because if you really do then you will prioritise that over any covid risk?

If you didn't go how long do you think you would be miserable for? Tbh I don't think you would be criticised for not going because it's certainly not easy travelling to a different country now. Is your husband putting pressure on you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information