Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying to UK for wedding… scared!

Re: Flying to UK for wedding… scared!

How about attending the wedding via online thru skype maybe? Let the couples know ahead of time that you couldn't attend their wedding because of COVID so they would have enough time to replace your husband as best man.

Honestly? I wouldn't recommend it. I have 3 friends who have recently caught covid from weddings in the UK. I'm currently isolating after being in contact with one of them! It's still spreading like wildfire here. Can you go to it online instead?

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethalice View Post
    Honestly? I wouldn't recommend it. I have 3 friends who have recently caught covid from weddings in the UK. I'm currently isolating after being in contact with one of them! It's still spreading like wildfire here. Can you go to it online instead?
    Oh dear, were they big weddings? This one has 20 people so it’s quite small, but a sit down meal inside and then a house party afterwards (with no regulations). I think I just don’t trust that a lot of people in UK are still taking this seriously. I can’t imagine sitting close to someone as I haven’t done it since March 2020 :( I wish I wasn’t so scared.

My husband isn’t exactly pressuring ME to go, but he wants to go and leave me behind. I don’t mind this, it seems like the best solution, but I’m worried for him and long covid - it isn’t clear yet if vaccinated people get long covid, but as I am disabled, I really don’t want either of us to have another condition we could have avoided. It’s tough because I feel like I’ve caged him long enough. He’s been anxious about covid too and been very safe, but I think he’s fed up on it now and wants to take the plunge. I just don’t think I can follow yet.

I think you've got to do it when you feel the time is right. Locally here we have an organisation that is running a course to help people start living more normal lives - so many people have found it hard with the restrictions lifted. There might be something similar over there?

I will say that the majority of people who were maskless when I went to the supermarket yesterday were holiday makers. Maybe Covid can spot someone who's on holiday and avoid them?

Quote Originally Posted by OliverDer View Post
    Why are you so scared? Vaccinated people have significantly better coronavirus resistance, so even if you caught covid, it's not a big deal. If you aren't vaccinated - you should be afraid of your home city as well. Attending the wedding online thru skype even sounds lame.
    We all have reason to be more cautious right now with the recent discovery of the Omicron variant that has originated from South Africa, even if it doesn't eventually pan out to be quite as bad as currently feared.

Though of course, it's the proverbial 'fear of the unknown', so completely justified in the meantime until further notice.

But compared to August when this thread was first created, the UK is no longer the worst-hit in Europe, as far as Germany in particular is concerned they're pretty much Even Stephens with us right now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information