Thread: Cardiophobia - would love to hear about other peoples experiences

Cardiophobia - would love to hear about other peoples experiences

Hi guys
    I ma new to this forum but would love to find out about others experiences with cardiophobia and heart palpitations.
    I have suffered with palpitations for years since university and had CBT treatment for them around 2011 after having very thorough examinations with a cardiologist that found no underlying issues. They have generally kind of come and gone but more recently i have noticed they are becoming much worse again.
    Even the slightest chest flutter can set them off, or back pain i immediately assume is something heart related. I gave up smoking just before Christmas 2020 and have noticed a slow increase since then...I was kind of convinced that this would being an end to it all....but I was wrong.
    Have always found hearing about others experiences has helped over the years and would love to hear your expereinces and maybe we can help ach other a little bit
    Many thanks

Re: Cardiophobia - would love to hear about other peoples experiences

Nice work quitting smoking! I can absolutely relate to the heart related anxiety. That's what I worry about almost exclusively. It doesn't consume me like it used to, but I definitely still get a bit anxious because of it. As for palpitations, my best advice is just try to ignore them, or at least try not to react negatively when they occur. It's not the easiest thing to do, but over time it does become easier.

Thank you much appreciated.
    That is very reassuring, it is definitely about learning to react to them differently. The cardiologist told me I had a super awareness of my own heart beat etc and most almost certainly over aware of what is very normal heart activity. Ive always thought how strange it was that I second question this as if was with my leg for example i never would

Quote Originally Posted by Ldavidc View Post
    Thank you much appreciated.
    That is very reassuring, it is definitely about learning to react to them differently. The cardiologist told me I had a super awareness of my own heart beat etc and most almost certainly over aware of what is very normal heart activity. Ive always thought how strange it was that I second question this as if was with my leg for example i never would
    I understand completely. I also tend to not question or second guess sensations I may experience elsewhere, only heart anomalies.

Hi, that's a really interesting point! I only realised quite recently that I have this fear intermittently (although it's been lifelong!) and came to look for people who worry about low heart rate. I'm pretty sure I have nothing to worry about and next time I shall try to see if I can feel anything happening in my big toe!

I have had panic disorder for many years - currently not good again after 3 years of being very well. Heart issues is what scares me the most....when I have a full blown panic attack the speed is incredible and I convince myself it will stop which feeds the panic - horroble!

Thread Information