Thread: Stomach/bowel issues for 4 months

Stomach/bowel issues for 4 months

Long time NMP reader, but this is my first post. I am a 40-year-old female and have been suffering from HA since I was little - this was massively exacerbated by my father's passing due to pancreatic cancer in 2016.

I've been experiencing diarrhoea (especially in the morning and after eating), stomach and abdominal pains, belching, a sensation of fullness (my stomach feels hard, if that makes sense) and lack of appetite for 4 months. The stomach pains are particularly bothersome. I initially thought it could be a virus as my partner was experiencing similar symptoms (he seems better now).
    I was diagnosed with IBS in 2013 but this feels very different. I am pretty shattered all the time, though this is probably due to the anxiety.

After initial mismanagement by an out of hours dr (who prescribed antibiotics for a kidney infection I did not have), I ended up having LOTS of tests (blood tests, stool tests, 2 abdominal ultrasounds, a colonoscopy and an abdominal and CT scan with contrast) which found absolutely nothing.

Needless to say I have been extremely anxious throughout this and have been concerned about GI cancers (bowel, pancreas etc). I calmed down a little after the CT scan; seeing friends and my therapist has also helped.

As I am still getting symptoms, I am now seeing a new gastroenterologist who has recommended an endoscopy as well as more blood/stool tests The endoscopy will be in 4 1/2 weeks (even though it will be done via a private provider) and my HA has come back with a vengeance (of course, I am now worried about stomach cancer). I even asked my gastroenterologist whether the CT scan would have picked up this sort of issue (I seem to understand it could) but he ignored my question (he was about to go on holiday so probably didn't want to start engaging with my HA).

Any tips on how to cope with the wait? I realise I've had a TON of tests and that cancer is unlikely, but I can't help feeling worried.
    HA is so horrible.

Thanks
    Last edited by EStella81; 07-08-21 at 19:26.

Re: Stomach/bowel issues for 4 months

Your IBS symptoms can change, mine is all over the place, a few months I am straining to go, then I'll have months of normal stool, and then weeks of loose stool, bloating, gas, pain, hardly want to eat.

Thanks for your reply Pkstracy! Yes, one of the doctors told me he thinks this may be post-infectious IBS (i.e. an infection that's made my IBS worse), and that it may take months and months to feel better. He suggested I try a gluten-free diet (even though I am not celiac), I am now in week two of this.
    I really wish he hadn't brought up the endoscopy as it's not helping my anxiety but I guess he being thorough. I am so fixated with my stomach, aware of every little ache and pain and that horrible feeling of fullness. Just need to get through the next month somehow!

My stomach is all over the place dependant on how my anxiety is.

Just try to fill your time from now until the appointment the best way you can. Keep busy, do grounding and relaxation techniques.

Thanks Catkins! The anxiety definitely makes the problem worse. My mum wants me to cancel the exam as she feels it's not necessary (given I've had a CT scan; she also thinks a lot of my issues stem from my HA) and it's just making me so anxious. I can see her point but also worried I would regret not doing it.

Thanks for the advice, keeping busy is key. I am also working on muscle relaxation techniques, hope it helps (I've done my neck and shoulders in because of the anxiety).

Would a massage help (not that I'm offering), I go once a month as anxiety affects my shoulders a lot. I find it helps me.

That's a good suggestion, thanks, will try it!

Hi EStella, I am 39 and have been having IBS on and off most of my life. It correlates with my anxiety episodes. The current episode (of anxiety and IBS) has been lasting over 4 months. I have diarrhea (mostly in the morning and after eating), stomach fullness (occasionally), nausea (occasionally). Not so much stomach pain, but IBS can and does cause stomach pain/cramps. I do not know if abdominal CT would pick up stomach cancer (and do not want to google), but I'd think that after so many tests if you had cancer going on, something would have showed up. I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I truly do think that all you have is IBS.

Thanks Double_Rainbow, this is reassuring as it sounds like we are suffering from similar symptoms! I have been SO anxious in the last few months, going through so many tests and convincing myself I was dying...I've not really helped myself or my digestive system.
    I agree with you re: all tests pointing to something benign, and I am sure what the Dr wants to test for now is something along the lines of a stomach ulcer/gastritis rather than the dreaded C. I find that most of the time I am lucid but I will occasionally still get into a state. I just want to draw a line under this 'episode' but I really don't think I can do it until the endoscopy results come back. I have sworn to my partner/mum/friends that this will be it, and it really has to be.
    Thanks again for responding

Hi EStella, did you get that endoscopy in the end?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thread Information