Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Geronimo..

Re: Geronimo..

I've always had a passion for animals and if I'm honest, prefer their company than most human beings.
    There's also the fact that they cannot speak up for themselves and rely on humans for their welfare and safety.
    The other matter is the inhuman way that the majority of animals are treated and many times for entertainment purposes.
    Geronimo is a case that has had media coverage and stands as an example to many more similar situations that unfortunately occur throughout our lives.
    I must have missed your thread on the minks Lencoboy, but you would have had my empathy if I had noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I've always had a passion for animals and if I'm honest, prefer their company than most human beings.
    There's also the fact that they cannot speak up for themselves and rely on humans for their welfare and safety.
    The other matter is the inhuman way that the majority of animals are treated and many times for entertainment purposes.
    Geronimo is a case that has had media coverage and stands as an example to many more similar situations that unfortunately occur throughout our lives.
    I must have missed your thread on the minks Lencoboy, but you would have had my empathy if I had noticed.
    The mink thread wasn't actually started by me but started by WiredInCorrectly IIRC.

Whilst I'm mostly impartial in regards to the subject of Geronimo, and everyone is entitled to their own personal views and opinions on said subject, I do wonder why just one specific animal is being singled out by the media right now and inadvertently a subject of significant frenzied controversy and debate, whilst hundreds to thousands of animals are culled (for various reasons) on a daily basis the world over with most people (apart from the avid animal rights fanatics) not even batting an eyelid?

Call me insensitive and shoot me down in flames all you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Lencoboy View Post
    The mink thread wasn't actually started by me but started by WiredInCorrectly IIRC.

Whilst I'm mostly impartial in regards to the subject of Geronimo, and everyone is entitled to their own personal views and opinions on said subject, I do wonder why just one specific animal is being singled out by the media right now and inadvertently a subject of significant frenzied controversy and debate, whilst hundreds to thousands of animals are culled (for various reasons) on a daily basis the world over with most people (apart from the avid animal rights fanatics) not even batting an eyelid?

Call me insensitive and shoot me down in flames all you like!
    Because it gained traction through Change.org and the media picked up on it. A fair few stories like this go through that petition site ending up in the media. Probably find they work on pulling media attention over to their causes.

There are loads of animal ones though. The Hedgehog Highways one is a very successful campaign. Chris Packham has one about egg quality. Various ones about dog crimes including police dogs in Northern Island. Some international ones too like the trapped wales under the Russians, animal rescue of elephants being abused, Joanna Lumley's whale testing one, etc.

Without checking I think Geronimo is a pretty big petition. I would imagine it has gone so high because it's a government body acting badly.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Because it gained traction through Change.org and the media picked up on it. A fair few stories like this go through that petition site ending up in the media. Probably find they work on pulling media attention over to their causes.

There are loads of animal ones though. The Hedgehog Highways one is a very successful campaign. Chris Packham has one about egg quality. Various ones about dog crimes including police dogs in Northern Island. Some international ones too like the trapped wales under the Russians, animal rescue of elephants being abused, Joanna Lumley's whale testing one, etc.

Without checking I think Geronimo is a pretty big petition. I would imagine it has gone so high because it's a government body acting badly.
    A typical 'tip of the iceberg' situation.

It would seem that Geronimo is no more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-58255378

RIP Geronimo. I hope Defra got it right but the post mortem will be definitive unless it's "doctored" of course..

Oh no! Last I read they were going to do a human shield to save him. This is sad.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information