Thread: hello

hello

Hi all,
    Just wanted to say hi and what a great website.
    I am a married 40 man with 2 great kids and a good life, but anxiety plagues me and even worse in covid.
    Some days I struggle to eat and vomit/reach at the thought of food and social interactions, and recently just sitting down with the family to eat.
    I am underweight and not eating makes me very weak, what makes me more nauseous.

The doctor three weeks ago has prescribed sertraline (50mg but i reduced to 25mg the dose as side affects where too much for me and propanol (40mg), I have tried CBT in the past and hypnosis that have helps a little. (my parents/siblings has a history anxiety)
    Currently having a bad spell, after 2 weeks of normality.

I recently change jobs after 16 years that I believe have contributed to my level of stress/anxiety, and the thought of going to the office after covid puts fear into me.

Anyway nice to meet you all, and any advice welcome.

David

Welcome to No More Panic!

Hiya Needhelpguy and welcome to NMP

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and
    are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and
    support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Re: hello

Hello David. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Needhelpguy View Post
    ...The doctor three weeks ago has prescribed sertraline (50mg but i reduced to 25mg the dose as side affects where too much for me and propanol (40mg), I have tried CBT in the past and hypnosis that have helps a little. (my parents/siblings has a history anxiety)
    Currently having a bad spell, after 2 weeks of normality...
    Welcome to NMP; David ... I hope you find some relief form the Stertaline and the side effects tend to wear off overtime as I was also on that for years and will likely be going back on it again. 25Mg is pretty small, but maybe it will help. Remember, CBT isn't all-or-nothing .. little changes to interrupt unhealthy patters count, even small changes make a difference so don't give up on it.

Hope things improve for you.

~Salvatore

Thank you Salvatore, yes CBT did help a little but I should try it again and carry on.

You're very welcome - remember, small steps, and its more about (cognitively) interrupting unhealthy patterns/cycles that lead to the same predictable result(s). I prefer to see/view it that way rather than changing behaviors (IMO that is what gives CBT the stigma). For example: If you have trouble eating with family (the traditional gathering around the table) you could *chose* to eat alone when you can or eat while you're out and enjoy desert or coffee with family; this way you might find you will eat better without having to tie food in with social interaction with family. I don't like to be watched (studied) while I'm eating. I dined out in ages, myself.

Thread Information