Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiation Fear from CT Scans

Radiation Fear from CT Scans

Hi all,

So I am a 30-year-old female. I had a head CT scan when I was 12-years-old, and I just recently had a neck CT scan with contrast. I was not informed of the radiation risks from CT scans, and now I am freaking out (especially since the thyroid is very sensitive to radiation in younger females). I am now scared that I am going to develop something like thyroid cancer down the road. And the unfortunate thing is that the neck CT scan was not 100% warranted. MRI or fine needle aspiration could have been used instead. It makes me feel sick to my stomach that I exposed my body to this, and now I am having terrible fears of not being there for my future children because of a stupid decision I made. I am even having a hard time getting out of bed in the morning. This feeling is truly awful.

Has anyone else had CT scans and worries about this type of thing?

Does anyone have any insight on how to ease my mind?

I would appreciate the help. Thank you!

Re: Radiation Fear from CT Scans

We have loads of posts about these worries and you really don't have anything to worry about.

You would get more radiation from flying in a plane than the scans you have had.

Please don't even think about it.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Here is one of many posts you could read:

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...adiation-worry

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I have had several ct scans through the course of my HA. I am 44 now. I do worry, but actually I think the risks are very, very low:

If you do not mind me asking, what area of the body did you have the scans?

HA certainly aided in me getting the neck CT, and now I am having worse anxiety learning about the risks associated with such scans. I wish it was as simple as snapping your fingers to make HA go away.

There's really next to no risk.

Friend of mine is a stage IV bowel cancer survivor and every six months he has a full torso scan - "from my ******** to my nipples" as he puts it.

Now, given what he's been through do you think a hospital would risk reintroducing cancers if the scans were not safe?

"Radiation" gets such an "ooh scary" press it annoys me.

This post is well worth reading https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showth...78#post1988478

I'm a Stage IVa H&N cancer survivor. I was treated with radiation, 5 days a week for 6 weeks. Enough to turn my mouth and throat into mush and require a feeding tube and burn the skin off my neck. Add to that a CT scan before each treatment to aim the radiation. I also had chemo once a week as well. That's not even getting into all the scans throughout my life including many PET scans where they injected radioactive dye. I'm still here 8 years out of treatment so....

Besides, there's not one documented case where a CT scan was the proven cause of cancer.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I had an abdominal CT scan 12 years ago and I'm fine.

I did reject a neck CT scan a few years ago on the basis that an MRI had already shown an issue which accounted for the pulsatile tinnitus and I'd had other checks re blood flow in my neck. The CT scan was 'to make sure' and I felt it was unnecessary. Another issue was the contrast they wanted to use because I'd developed MCS by then and I had no idea if I would have a reaction to the dye or not, so all things considered it was the right decision for me. But I have no problems in having CT scans if they are absolutely necessary.

I got one of the biggest blasts with the abdo CT scan and I'm not concerned because the benefit greatly outweighed the risk. It was the only way to check that my internal bleeding had stopped and it was necessary. These bits of kit are literally lifesavers..

Do you know if they put any kind of collar around your neck prior to the scan? Because there's such a thing as a thyroid shield..

Anyone else had CT scans at a relatively young age? If so, what area of the body and how old were you?

I don't think you really need to know this - you just need to know that you are in no danger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information