Thread: I Just Wanna Get Better

I Just Wanna Get Better

Hi Everyone. I Been Suffering For 4 Or 5 Years Now. Im 23 And Cant Do Nothing. Best I Can Do Is Drive 5 Miles Radias And Cant Walk Anywhere Becuase My Agrophobia Is So Bad, Anyways Iv Totally Had Enough. So Looks Like Meds Is The Only Answer As Iv Spent To Much Money And Time On Everything Else(. Councilling/theropy/nautral Rems Etc Etc)

So I Was Wondering What Is The Mildest Medication Becuase Im So Scared Of Them. I Know Soon As I Take It Il Start Sweating Etc. I Have Hurd The Beta Blockers Are Good But Would They Help Agrophbia??? Any Info Would Be Much Appriciated. Thanks And Take Care Xx

Re: I Just Wanna Get Better

Hey, sorry to hear your not to well at the moment, beta blockers can be great in blocking/reducing some of the physical symptoms of anxiety which inturn may help your agrophobia.

I am taking Propranolol 80mg LA and they block some of the physical symptoms such as sweating, racing heartbeat and help with tremors somewhat, they are not a cure and only reduce anxiety because the reduce the physical symptoms, while on them you need to be strong and face your fears because facing your fears is the only way the symptoms will start to pass. I no longer or very rarely suffer from the dizziness, feeling faint, derealization symptoms which were majour ones for me. From being housebound for 6 months i can pretty much go anywhere, i don't have a safe zone like most people with anxiety. I still have issues in ques and when meeting new people but thats something i am working on.

There is no reason to be scared of taking a beta blocker because they are very safe and you can remain on them long term and most people have very few side effects with the main one being tiredness untill you settle on them.

thanks for your comment cyclone uk. can i get these beta blockers in pharmacy or do i need to go through docs?

Hi there

You will have to get them from the docs.

You may want to join in this thread about agoraphobia as well..

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24387

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Good idea to have a long chat with your GP about them. I went on Propranolol on 2 separate occasions and they didn't work at all - just made me very down and physically weak. They don't work for everyone but might be worth trying. It's a drug that if it doesn't work you can just stop taking them.

Hi there,

most meds are started at a very low dose. You should have a word with your doctor and see what he recommends. I for one improved alot after started meds.

take care

Lisa
    xxx

thanks for the tread nicola. and thanks everyone else for your comments. take care all xx

I am on beta blockers, i find taking them just b 4 i go somewhere helps, however the doc will tell u to take them reg about twice a day but i haven't fell the benefit of that. x

Thread Information