Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small sore lump in armpit

Small sore lump in armpit

I’m so fed up :( I’ve been having some anxiety over an upcoming smear test and now I have to deal with this lump I’ve found in my armpit. It wasn’t there this morning because I shaved and didn’t feel it. This evening I felt a bit of pain in my armpit so naturally I felt the area and found a lump that feels sore when I touch it. It’s under the skin and is smaller than a pea. I’m now worrying myself over potential cancer of course because my mind won’t allow me to think it’s anything else. I feel so low and tired and fed up of being constantly worried and on edge. Please someone tell me I’m being silly

Re: Small sore lump in armpit

I get those literally all the time. Usually ends up being like an infected hair follicle and eventually goes away. I know it’s so hard but I really wouldn’t worry. If it’s still there when you go for your smear then mention it to your doc, but I’d be willing to bet it will go away on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    I get those literally all the time. Usually ends up being like an infected hair follicle and eventually goes away. I know it’s so hard but I really wouldn’t worry. If it’s still there when you go for your smear then mention it to your doc, but I’d be willing to bet it will go away on its own.
    Hi thank you for your reply. I am hoping it’s nothing serious but I feel sick with worry. I am waiting for a call back from my doctors today at some point and see what they say. I can’t sit and do nothing I think it’s only going to ignite my anxiety. The lump wasn’t there the other morning so I’m hoping it’s just related to when I shaved that morning.
    I had similar lumps the other week on the other side after shaving but they weren’t as big and I wasn’t as worried but this one has really scared me :(

I also get this all the time. And with me they are infected hair follicles. The pain is a good sign!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo2316 View Post
    I also get this all the time. And with me they are infected hair follicles. The pain is a good sign!
    Thank you for your reply. Yes mine is sore when I press it so I’m hoping nothing serious. Just waiting for a call back from the doctor.
    I keep a health anxiety diary and looking back on it there’s been a couple of times I’ve had the same issue and it’s gone away. I just think my anxiety is really high atm so everything seems worse than what it is.

So I’m feeling quite down now. Waited all day for a phone call from my doctor but won’t get it until tomorrow now :(
    Just wanted a bit of reassurance from her. Oh well. The lump is still there and still sore. I’ve only had it a day so I know it’s not going to decrease that quickly I hope it will start going down because then I won’t worry.

Try putting a warm damp wash rag on it. Sometimes that will help them clear out faster. I understand how anxiety can get you in it’s grips, but what you have here is an infected hair follicle that just has to pass on its own. If this were something serious, it wouldn’t be sore at all. The fact that it’s sore and uncomfortable to touch is a good sign as mentioned above. Remember that reassurance from your doc is very short lived. It’s important too to learn to rationalize these things out for yourself as well. That’s a big key in recovering from HA.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Try putting a warm damp wash rag on it. Sometimes that will help them clear out faster. I understand how anxiety can get you in it’s grips, but what you have here is an infected hair follicle that just has to pass on its own. If this were something serious, it wouldn’t be sore at all. The fact that it’s sore and uncomfortable to touch is a good sign as mentioned above. Remember that reassurance from your doc is very short lived. It’s important too to learn to rationalize these things out for yourself as well. That’s a big key in recovering from HA.
    Yes I know your so right. I’m trying to leave it alone because I know that makes things worse. I’ve given myself a terrible headache with all the worrying I’ve done today and not feeling very well so I’m off to bed and hoping tomorrow will be a slightly better day.

I had the worst nights sleep. Every time I close my eyes I would jolt awake and start trembling and not being able to breathe properly. I started taking my anxiety meds and think this is why my anxiety is really bad. The lump in my armpit doesn’t hurt anymore I dunno if that’s a good sign or not and it feels a bit smaller but then maybe I’m imagining that some wishful thinking.
    I’m calling my doctors at 8am because I didn’t hear from them yesterday and that’s also fuelled the anxiety further. Hopefully I will get some better news today and not have to feel so ill

I’m so tired and so stressed. I just wish my doctor would call me back so I can tell her how I’m feeling especially about going back on meds. All this waiting is making my anxiety feel so much worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information