Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone think a fourth national lockdown is inevitable?

Re: Does anyone think a fourth national lockdown is inevitable?

I know I started this thread back in August, but with more than 300 officially confirmed cases of Omicron now in the UK (though no reported deaths nor increased hospitalisations specific to said variant so far), my dad thinks we should have a fourth national lockdown, at least until further notice as to how Omicron plays out.

I'm not sure whether I agree with him at this stage, but again, what does everyone else on here think?

I really don't think we should lockdown at this point. If it turns out that it makes people very ill and hospital admissions shoot up, then perhaps consider it. To be honest to rush in to another lockdown would mean financial disaster for a lot of people/businesses. I also think that mentally people would struggle if we were to lockdown again, I know I would. The best thing for us to do is follow the advice given, maintain mask wearing and hand washing and be sensible.

We went to another indoor concert last night with 200 or so other people. We both wore our masks although there were maybe only about 1/2 a dozen other people doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    I really don't think we should lockdown at this point. If it turns out that it makes people very ill and hospital admissions shoot up, then perhaps consider it. To be honest to rush in to another lockdown would mean financial disaster for a lot of people/businesses. I also think that mentally people would struggle if we were to lockdown again, I know I would. The best thing for us to do is follow the advice given, maintain mask wearing and hand washing and be sensible.

We went to another indoor concert last night with 200 or so other people. We both wore our masks although there were maybe only about 1/2 a dozen other people doing so.
    That's exactly my point Catkins.

At this moment in time and with the seemingly more encouraging data we have so far on Omicron, I personally think a full-on fourth national lockdown would be a tad premature.

This time last year lockdown was still far more justified, as the first vaccines were only just starting to be doled out, plus the hospitalisations and deaths situation was of course far more dire back then than it seems to be right now, plus the gap between cases and hospitalisations/deaths is ironically much wider now compared to then, but of course the latter being much lower this December than last so far is most certainly to do with the vaccines.

Despite over 300 officially confirmed cases of Omicron now in the UK, Delta by far still prevails as the foremost Covid variant within our shores, though of course that could very well change in due course, and hopefully even for the better.

All depends on how badly hospitals are affected. There seem to be mixed messages from actual ICUs and the government.

My dad is still adamant that we'll be in lockdown in a week or two's time, as he told me that he heard on the news that Covid in the UK is getting worse and worse every day, and believes there's still every chance that Omicron could turn out to be more problematic, despite anecdotal evidence to the contrary so far, plus he thinks there's a lot of denial, cover-ups and corruption from the govt once again, and he also believes they acted too little too late once again.

He also says he doesn't trust the staff at my day centre as he believes they care more about money than our safety and welfare, which I seriously don't agree, as I am there and he isn't. Also they still get paid, even if I don't attend.

Well I feel like a total loser and like I might just as well give up on everything right now (still far removed from feeling full-on suicidal though).

Lenco, you're not a loser, no way. You're a good bloke, you've always come across that way to me. Chin up buddy.

I think you're trying too hard to "makes sense" of the current situation and the truth is that no one knows anything yet despite assorted "experts" spouting their opinions/ wanting their voices heard.

As for your Day Centre, you definitely know best and it's obviously somewhere where you feel comfortable and respected.

Quote Originally Posted by fishman65 View Post
    Lenco, you're not a loser, no way. You're a good bloke, you've always come across that way to me. Chin up buddy.
    Thanks for your kind remarks Fishman.

Whilst I totally understand that my dad obviously fears the unknown right now, I hate to say that I feel as though it's turning him into a bit of a control freak right now, especially as he seems to be politicising the current situation with Omicron, plus also being unduly mistrustful of the staff at my day centre, and making hasty accusations against them being 'clueless' and having hidden agendas.

I also fear the unknown right now, especially with many media outlets still spewing out hysterical commentary with regards both Omicron and all other things Covid in general right now.

I'm seriously dreading the hysterical Armageddon-like headlines on the front pages of the likes of the Daily Mail, etc, when the first deaths of persons with Omicron finally do occur, even if said deaths aren't directly attributed to Omicron itself, but possibly due to other unrelated (and more harmful) conditions but happening to have Omicron at the same time purely by coincidence.

But as per usual, all they'll care about is all the dosh they make out of it all!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    I think you're trying too hard to "makes sense" of the current situation and the truth is that no one knows anything yet despite assorted "experts" spouting their opinions/ wanting their voices heard.

As for your Day Centre, you definitely know best and it's obviously somewhere where you feel comfortable and respected.
    Nail on the head Pulisa.

My dad has always been a bit mistrustful of day centres and the 'authorities' in general, no matter how good or bad they may be, plus obviously overprotective towards me on occasions, which is totally understandable.

But at the same time, I do feel the need to stand on my own two feet and have a bit of personal independence away from the cocoon that is my family sometimes.

Honestly, if there really were serious malpractices at my day centre, in particular major Covid-related breaches, they simply wouldn't survive, especially in the face of an epic media circus, even if only confined to the local press!

Also as this country has been ravaged by Delta since the late spring of this year, surely I would have been infected with that by now, especially had I stopped wearing masks in indoor public places since July, and not been careful generally, but I thank my lucky stars I've been OK up until now.
    Last edited by Lencoboy; 07-12-21 at 23:05.

Not a lockdown, but I'm hearing rumours that "Plan B" may be implemented.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information