Thread: Slow Digestion/Stomach staying full

Slow Digestion/Stomach staying full

Hello,

I'm a long term anxiety sufferer but more recently (last 1-2 years) have been doing a lot better with Sertraline. The occasional flare up of anxiety but nothing I wasn't able to control. I'm otherwise reasonably healthy in that I don't have any long term conditions or anything like that.

I'm still feeling reasonably calm but I had some symptoms the other day that seems to have flared up into physical symptoms despite my mind being somewhat calm. This first happened a few years ago when my anxiety got REALLY bad. I couldn't eat at all for a few days and then the smallest meal would fill me up but wouldn't digest until I was eventually sick. I saw the doctor who gave me a check-up, we were both confident it was anxiety and the symptoms went away with time and some medication.

A couple of days ago I seem to have been hit again. I will have dinner at between 5-7pm and it will feel like it is sitting in my stomach for a long, long time afterwards. It's currently coming up to 3am my time and I still feel somewhat full. It isn't bad enough that I'm very nauseus like in the past but it is enough to be disconcerting and a little uncomfortable. It also means I'm not eating as much because my appetite just isn't there. It's weird having eaten 9 hours ago and yet when I burp I can still taste the food a bit. I've otherwise felt OK digestively, maybe a little unsettled in the bowels but that can probably be put down to the anxiety. I've also suffered some acid reflux very occassionally (maybe once every month or so?) but haven't had a problem with it since this fullness appeared.

I don't have any symptoms of anything else. Even anxiety-wise the only thing really getting to me is this one symptom. I'm going to speak to a doctor if it doesn't pass in a few days but has anyone else had experience with this? Is it a symptom of anxiety? It's certainly giving me anxiety!

Thank you in advance for any and all replies <3
    Last edited by Elfking; 20-08-21 at 03:00. Reason: Just adding a little more

Re: Slow Digestion/Stomach staying full

Hey there! So my dad goes thru phases exactly like you’re describing. Just a full, uncomfortable feeling. His doc recommended he follow the FODMAP diet for a few weeks and he notices improvement when he does that. I don’t know a ton about it but there’s a bunch of info on google.

I think another member on here does it too, Fishmanpa. Maybe he’ll see and chime in!

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Hey there! So my dad goes thru phases exactly like you’re describing. Just a full, uncomfortable feeling. His doc recommended he follow the FODMAP diet for a few weeks and he notices improvement when he does that. I don’t know a ton about it but there’s a bunch of info on google.

I think another member on here does it too, Fishmanpa. Maybe he’ll see and chime in!
    Thank you, I will look into that.

I deal with this fullness a lot, sometimes I go all day feeling full after lunch and can barely eat again. It’s bad since I’m supposed to be gaining weight. I take peppermint and caraway (fdgard brand) before eating which does help some, so you could try that. Iberogast can also help with the full feeling, it made me nauseous but it works for some people.

Thread Information