Thread: Worried about MS

Worried about MS

Hi all . I posted here a number of months ago but I’m back . So I’m a little worried and I think I probably shouldn’t be but hey ho. So for the past 3 months or so I’ve had pretty stiff thighs. They primarily feel stiff when walking and feel like I’ve walked 10 miles when I’ve walked 100 metres . I’m forcing myself to keep trying to exercise but have stopped running and now do a bit of cycling in a gym as the stiffness feels less (maybe less weight) . It’s primarily my thighs but calf’s do feel a little stiff also and heels now and again feel a little numb but not much .

This follows a trip to the go over 3 months ago when I had some twitches and fluttering in my eye lids and face and whilst this has gone the odd twitches in my legs and a few random places come and go.

I’ve seen my gp again about my legs who didn’t seem overly concerned and all bloods came back clear .

About 3 years ago I had a clear mri following an attack of dizziness and that was clear but I guess I’m also a little worried as I read spasticity is diagnosed via the spinal mri.... yes easy to see rabbit hole

I’m trying to stay positive but I I’ve gone from being a fit Middle Aged guy who could walk , run , bike etc no problem to someone who probably can walk but man it feels stiff z

It’s the longevity of this that’s worrying me. But gp said it would be rare to get ms as a man at my age , I’ve had a clear mri 3 years ago and bloods all ok.

I really feel like I want to give it a few weeks and then see a neuro but is that me pushing for something because I’m not feeling good rather than because my go was worried.

Come on folks help me here with some advice and experiences ! Rabbit hole or do something about it .

Thanks a lot

Re: Worried about MS

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyofboro View Post

Come on folks help me here with some advice and experiences ! Rabbit hole or do something about it .
    I was 100% convinced my symptoms were MS. I had tremors, numbness in my arms and fingers, stiffness, was falling down and walking into things. Speech went weird. Twitches - the works..

Turned out to be FMS (fibro) fatigue accounting for the speech symptoms etc and Cervical Spondylosis and some minor nerve impingement responsible for the neurological stuff like numbness etc. Falling over? That'll be vertigo that I have episodes of throughout the year. HA will absolutely take these non-life threatening (albeit painful & frustrating) symptoms and make them terminal..

And of course there are the anxiety symptoms..

Clear MRI? Clear bloods? It's HIGHLY UNLIKELY that you have MS.

Just one more thing... (I sound like Columbo)

I haven't done any exercise for a few months - with one thing and another (oops) so when I went for a walk yesterday, my thighs felt very heavy and it felt like I'd got concrete boots on (not that I''ve ever actually worn any) and I remember this from before when I'd had a break from exercising?

Plus, stress hormones can do this too..

My point is that there are numerous (and far more likely) causes for how you feel before you get to something like MS.

Re: Worried about MS

Hi norab. As always your responses are well thought out and constructive.

I’m genuinely trying to remain positive but I think because it’s been a number of months it worries me a little more . I do try and recognise that it’s highly unlikely v other things and the docs I can only assume would have referred me if worried.

I’m wondering if long term Muscle stiffness in one group , in this case my thighs and legs can be caused by being anxious and If so I also imagine muscles won’t just relax overnight once you start to relax .....

.... and of course don’t let me start looking at my thighs to see if they are getting thinner... that’s a whole new panic ballgame

Thread Information