Thread: Blood or food in stool??

Blood or food in stool??

So I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy a few days ago, and they told me everything looked normal. They even said they didn't see hemmorhoids, despite me being told before I have grade 2 hemmies. I was okay for a couple days, and then last night I had some major discomfort in my RUQ (right upper quad) abdomen, as well as some general pain. I didn't sleep very well and have still had some discomfort and cramp in my right upper abdomen, but this afternoon, I went to the toilet and there was some definite red mixed in with the stool, of which I'm now completely worried about since a) I don't have hemorrhoids and b) I haven't had a full colonoscopy scope, so now I'm worried that they missed something and it's either a polyp, or something sinister, that they've missed that's further up in my bowel.

The only other consideration is that it's actually because of something I ate, last night we had red thai curry which has a paprika colouring in it, and I'm wondering if this could be what has caused it? It was really quite red tho, and obviously the whole reason I went for the sigmoidoscopy was because I noticed red mixed in with my stool before, so now I'm wondering whether I'm still having this suspicious bleeding, especially considering I am having pain in my abdomen etc.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if they've had a similar experience or something, I really don't know know what to think anymore.

Re: Blood or food in stool??

Quote Originally Posted by LuSmith View Post
    So I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy a few days ago, and they told me everything looked normal. They even said they didn't see hemmorhoids, despite me being told before I have grade 2 hemmies. I was okay for a couple days, and then last night I had some major discomfort in my RUQ (right upper quad) abdomen, as well as some general pain. I didn't sleep very well and have still had some discomfort and cramp in my right upper abdomen, but this afternoon, I went to the toilet and there was some definite red mixed in with the stool, of which I'm now completely worried about since a) I don't have hemorrhoids and b) I haven't had a full colonoscopy scope, so now I'm worried that they missed something and it's either a polyp, or something sinister, that they've missed that's further up in my bowel.

The only other consideration is that it's actually because of something I ate, last night we had red thai curry which has a paprika colouring in it, and I'm wondering if this could be what has caused it? It was really quite red tho, and obviously the whole reason I went for the sigmoidoscopy was because I noticed red mixed in with my stool before, so now I'm wondering whether I'm still having this suspicious bleeding, especially considering I am having pain in my abdomen etc.

Hopefully someone will be able to tell me if they've had a similar experience or something, I really don't know know what to think anymore.

I have this exact issue!! Like sometimes there’s obvious red foods in it like peppers but then sometimes I see red and think back to what I’ve ate and I haven’t eaten any red or I have and it was like 3 days ago. Although it can take a while to proper pass food through. Literally red pepper like foods do pass through and show in stool though!

Chorizo really does it for me, as do any strongly-coloured ready meals that use tomato and paprika in them.

I get red from tomato skins all the time, and every time it freaks me out.

Thread Information