Thread: Psychodynamic psychotherapy - has anyone here undergone this?

Psychodynamic psychotherapy - has anyone here undergone this?

In an effort to try and get on top of my MH issues once and for all (despite a so-called 'friend' saying I'm avoiding doing so ), I have spoken to a relative who is a clinical psychologist, but also a psychodynamic psychotherapist. She happens to be my niece

She thinks that psychodynamic psychotherapy would be the best fit for me; I wondered if anyone here has had any recent experience of it?

Re: Psychodynamic psychotherapy - has anyone here undergone this?

So the main difference between psychodynamic therapy and CBT, is the WHY. With psychodynamic therapy, they're really trying to figure out WHY you do things; in other words, what past events are caused you to develop dysfunctional patterns, and how can you rearrange your schemas to reset those patterns. The emphasis is more on talking through the cause and effect process.

In CBT, it's acknowledged that you have problems, but there isn't the real emphasis on why you have the problems. It's more like, "Okay, you have problems, here's what you can do to cope with them now." The emphasis is more on the problem solving aspect.

Both forms can be very beneficial. I personally like a combination of both. I think you would benefit from either. I hope you choose to address your depression and the loss of your late wife in therapy.

Thanks Vee.

However; nothing upon this Earth or beyond will ever help me cope with losing Mrs. PM. I just hope we'll be together again in the next life

If you truly believe that, then it will be so. Nothing will ever make you stop loving Mrs. PM, but there are things to help with the grief. Just because you aren’t miserable all the time does not mean you are dishonoring her memory. You have to give yourself permission to live again for now.

Thread Information