Thread: Sertraline

Sertraline

I have just been prescribed 50mg per day of sertraline, just debating whether to take it.
    I am feeling really unwell but also having some anxiety issues and I seem to be struggling to get the gp to dig deeper than the anxiety.
    I have lost weight, have back pain and no appetite whatsoever, my stools are also really greasy. I’m convinced I have pancreatic cancer. Bloods are all fine but I want some further tests. Gp thinks I should try medicine for a bit.
    Anyway in the meantime I do admit I’m highly strung, so my question is should I take it and if so do I start on 25mg then up to 50mg. My gp did not say that but I have seen it suggested on here.

Re: Sertraline

Quote Originally Posted by Baby45 View Post
    I have just been prescribed 50mg per day of sertraline, just debating whether to take it.
    Can't help you with that decision, but it appears your GP thinks your symptoms are anxiety related. There are no physical diagnostic tests for anxiety disorders so they are often diagnosed by eliminating all the potential physical causes for a patient's problems.

I have lost weight, have back pain and no appetite whatsoever, my stools are also really greasy. I’m convinced I have pancreatic cancer. Bloods are all fine but I want some further tests. Gp thinks I should try medicine for a bit.
    Blood tests can indicate whether pancreatic cancer is a possibility. Assuming they've been done you probably don't have it, though the tests are not definitive.

Anyway in the meantime I do admit I’m highly strung, so my question is should I take it and if so do I start on 25mg then up to 50mg. My gp did not say that but I have seen it suggested on here.
    Taking only 25mg for the first week may lessen any sertraline side-effects, however, you should clear that with your GP first.

Thank you, my gp has now referred me for urgent scan as my stool sample was concerning and I’ve lost more weight. I might be one of the few unlucky ones on here whose nightmare comes true.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby45 View Post
    Thank you, my gp has now referred me for urgent scan as my stool sample was concerning and I’ve lost more weight. I might be one of the few unlucky ones on here whose nightmare comes true.
    🤞 that all will be well. The odds are still very much in your favour.

Thread Information