Thread: I think I got bat saliva in my eye

I think I got bat saliva in my eye

Okay, so I have OCD, and my main phobia is contracting zoonotic disease, mainly rabies. There is a variant of the rabies virus in the UK and ever since I was aware of that, it really messed with my head. I had CBT for this phobia, and was doing really well, so much so that I decided to tackle our very overgrown garden today. I used to be terrified of going outdoors into any long undergrowth. Even a branch brushing my skin would set off the rabies phobia.

This afternoon, I was cutting back some brambles and weeds which had grown around our lidded compost box with little airholes. I pulled at a stalk that appeared to be growing out of the composter and the lid shifted slightly. Something wet shot straight up into my eye. I didn't rush inside to wash it it, just kept chopping the weeds as I was on a roll, and had a boost of energy. Then I suddenly thought "wait, what was the wet thing that went into my eye". It's been a warm, sunny day, so everything around me was bone dry.

I started freaking out that it was saliva from a bat. Maybe a sick bat crawled into the extremely overgrown compost box for safety, and me shifting something threw it up into my eye. It was impossible to see anything inside the dark compost box, and bats here are TINY.

I know the chances are so so so low, and maybe it was a random flick of water trapped in the plant leaves, or some plant juices from where I had cut them back, but my brain won't accept it. I'm convinced a bat was in there, and its saliva got in my eye, or mixed with the condensation in the compost box which then got into my eye. As I said, it was bone dry outside, so the grass and plants around were not wet. There was one tiny drop of water on a doc leaf near my foot, and I'm scared its a sign that something pooled somewhere. Ugh!

I was doing SO well with this phobia. All the therapy techniques are about exposing yourself to the fear until your body realises it isn't a threat, but with rabies, it's kind of impossible to do that as the virus is lethal. I still employed the approach of just doing all the normal outdoor stuff that scared me, and treated that as "exposure".

I'm sitting here thinking I'm going to be dead soon, as rabies in the eye will go to the brain quickly. There's no way I can prove there was or wasn't a bat in that compost box.

Please help me calm down. I'm so freaked out.

Re: I think I got bat saliva in my eye

It was definitely some kind of plant juice. Gross, maybe, not dangerous. Bats don't shoot saliva out like venom so it wouldn't have shot toward your face.

I still go a little bit crazy sometimes...
    but now I don't stay near as long.

[Mostly] managing anxiety, HA, and depression.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    It was definitely some kind of plant juice. Gross, maybe, not dangerous. Bats don't shoot saliva out like venom so it wouldn't have shot toward your face.
    I'm trying to tell myself it was just plant juice or trapped moisture, but I can't stop wondering if a bat drooled on something which then splashed into my eye. Then I try to rationalise that a bat wouldn't shelter in a compost box anyway. This is such an exhausting thought loop.

It is exhausting, and I think it's largely because rabies is so scary. I've been there, many times. The only thing you can really do is counter those thoughts with the rational ones until the anxiety gives up and goes away.

I still go a little bit crazy sometimes...
    but now I don't stay near as long.

[Mostly] managing anxiety, HA, and depression.

Quote Originally Posted by .Poppy. View Post
    It is exhausting, and I think it's largely because rabies is so scary. I've been there, many times. The only thing you can really do is counter those thoughts with the rational ones until the anxiety gives up and goes away.
    You're right. All I can do is wait it out. I went back out to the compost box and looked over it quickly. It's smooth plastic, so I guess it's unlikely a bat could even be able to cling to it anyway, especially an unwell one. Also, I imagine a tiny bat wouldn't produce an amount of saliva that could pool and "splash" up into my eye. The size of a bats mouth over here is pretty tiny. If I recall properly, the liquid in my eye definitely felt cold, so more than likely water or plant juice.

I just wish I could dismiss it like any other normal person who probably got some mystery liquid in their eye from gardening. I like to think its a super common thing that people don't even think to talk about.

Thread Information