Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My lexapro diary

My lexapro diary

Hello Everyone,

This is the continuation of my paroxetine thread which I am discontinuing. Dr has started me on escitalopram.

I am starting lexapro and will keep a little journal here to track my progress and ask any questions along the way. My conditions are depression and GAD with panic.

I was taking paroxetine 10mg for almost 3 months. The last week I went down to 5mg without too much trouble and now completely stopped the paroxetine and have started lexapro at 5mg.

Yesterday was the first day of the switch and was easy enough. Today is the second day and a fair bit more rough. Low mood namely.

The next week or two will be interesting as I will not know what effects I am getting from starting lexapro and what is the discontinuation of the paroxetine?

Dr wants me to stay on 5mg for 5 weeks before checking back in with her.

As I mentioned in my previous thread I took lexapro over 4 years ago when I was in a very dark place. I only took it for about 6 weeks and remember it was good for depression but average for anxiety. Too be honest I do not believe I was on it long enough for it to make a difference and I had so much stress at the time I would of been surprised if anything would of worked.

Anyway feel free to add any input and wish me luck!

Regards

John

Re: My lexapro diary

G'day mate
    I found Lexapro a life saver
    I've been on it for 5 yrs and found it pretty gentle compared to others.
    6 weeks isn't long enough to feel any major difference
    I started on 5mg for a week then went to 10mg and have stayed there ever since.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Gday Phil
    I hope I get the same relief you got. Pretty scared about having to start from scratch again but will try to remain optimistic.

You're not starting from scratch though in terms of your management of anxiety and depression. Medication is only a part of that and not the be all and end all. Therapy-either self-taught or professional-plays a big part in management. If you put all your faith in medication you will heap more pressure on it to "succeed" and that could be counter-productive.

Thanks pulisa

Just trying to be productive today without putting too much pressure on myself.
    Had a mini panic attack today which I have not had for while.

You'll be on alert due to starting the lexapro. A mini panic attack is insignificant so don't overthink it. Just take things slowly and steadily and try not to worry about how you are feeling?

Pulisa is right
    Just try to forget you're taking it and you'll be fine.

Yep, I am on high alert at the moment. My teeth grinding seems to be worse as is my anxiety. I know a lot of this is in my head.

Taking this week off work as I feel I will have a major panic attack. The paroxetine threw a blanket over the panic but it also left me not feeling myself.

How long do the start up jitters usually last on this medication?

I didn't really have any jitters.
    I just sort of calmed down without realising it if you get what I mean.
    Sposed to be 6 weeks before it kicks in properly that's why I can't understand why the doc has you on half dosage for so long.

Wow I wish I have a response like you! Maybe the jitters is the other medication leaving my system? Who knows.

I am pretty sensitive to medication so dr is being cautious. She said I am a slow metaboliser and 5mg might be enough for me.

I tried paroxetine before this and going from 10mg to 20mg was like being hit by a Mack truck. I could not do it.

Started exercising and going for walks to keep myself active.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information