Thread: burning sensation in shoulders and arms

burning sensation in shoulders and arms

hi,
    I have been on sertraline now for just over a month, the first week I had bad side effect but carried on, I am on 50mg and generally I feel better but unsure if its the sertraline or just my frame of mind.

Anyway I noticed, when i think of something that panics me or causes anxiety, eating out or work issues i feel a burning sensation in my arms and shoulders. it not painful and only last a minute or less but I wondered if anyone else experienced this or what it could be.

Many thanks

Re: burning sensation in shoulders and arms

Quote Originally Posted by Needhelpguy View Post
    I have been on sertraline now for just over a month, the first week I had bad side effect but carried on, I am on 50mg and generally I feel better but unsure if its the sertraline or just my frame of mind.
    It typically takes 4-12 weeks for ADs to kick-in from when a minimum therapeutic dose is first taken (50mg for sertraline), so you're probably not getting the full response yet.

Anyway I noticed, when i think of something that panics me or causes anxiety, eating out or work issues i feel a burning sensation in my arms and shoulders. it not painful and only last a minute or less but I wondered if anyone else experienced this or what it could be.
    These are fairly common anxiety symptoms, but sertraline may also be altering your usual physical stress response possibly by its affect on noradrenaline/norepinephrine. Like most SSRIs, sertraline also affects blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, as serotonin mediates that function and this might be a contributing factor. While unpleasant I don't think it a cause for concern, but raise it with your GP if it worsens.

Thread Information