Thread: CBD Oil and Citalopram

CBD Oil and Citalopram

Hi, as the world is still topsy turvy and it can be overwhelming, I have started taking cbd oil. I already take 20 mg of citalopram every day and have done now for several years. At first the cbd oil was really good but now Ive noticed my mood/anxiety /thoughts are defo on a turn for the worse. has anyone takne them both at the same time and do they not work work together?
    Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    thank you in advance

Re: CBD Oil and Citalopram

Quote Originally Posted by carolf View Post
    Hi, as the world is still topsy turvy and it can be overwhelming, I have started taking cbd oil. I already take 20 mg of citalopram every day and have done now for several years.
    So you began taking cannabidiol because the citalopram was no longer keeping stress levels under control?

At first the cbd oil was really good but now Ive noticed my mood/anxiety /thoughts are defo on a turn for the worse. has anyone takne them both at the same time and do they not work work together?
    How long have you been taking the CBD with citalopram? CBD inhibits two liver enzymes that metabolise citalopram which may have significantly raised its plasma levels. If you've only been adding CBD for a few days to a couple of weeks you could be experiencing the typical side-effects experienced when increasing the citalopram dose including heightened anxiety.

I think raising the citalopram dose would have been a better option than using CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    So you began taking cannabidiol because the citalopram was no longer keeping stress levels under control?

How long have you been taking the CBD with citalopram? CBD inhibits two liver enzymes that metabolise citalopram which may have significantly raised its plasma levels. If you've only been adding CBD for a few days to a couple of weeks you could be experiencing the typical side-effects experienced when increasing the citalopram dose including heightened anxiety.

I think raising the citalopram dose would have been a better option than using CBD.

HI, Ive only been taking it for about 3 weeks, yes maybe raising my dose would of been better, thank you for your advice

Like you I was considering CBD oil so I spoke to a few people that had tried it for both anx/dep and chronic pain and they all said the same as you.
    Incredible relief at first then it just stopped working so i decided to save my money.
    If you read the interactions it isn't supposed to be used with SSRIs or benzos which would have meant giving up my Lexapro to try it which I'm not prepared to do either.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by BrennenWest View Post
    My friend tells me that CBD Oil doesn't help, just because it's not made from natural substances, is that true?
    CBD oil is extracted from hemp plants using solvents, usually CO2, and then distilled to remove unwanted components such as Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) the main psychoactive component of cannabis.

Thread Information