Thread: Sertraline and constipation

Sertraline and constipation

I posted recently about my ibs being a cause of huge anxiety, I can’t get a happy medium with it lately and since starting on sertraline 6 weeks ago the constipation has been worse than usual. I think the meds have affected my appetite also but I have been going through a huge amount of stress due to leaving my abusive ex and moving into a new house.

My appetite is usually affected when I’m highly stressed but I think the medication has something to do with it as well.

I have been constipated for 3 days now and have only passed a tiny stool each day (rabbit poo) sorry tmi! I can feel that something is there but it just won’t move at all. My mind is going to really dark places. I have been signed off work again and the dr thinks it’s stress causing the ibs to flare up but what if it’s a blockage.

Re: Sertraline and constipation

That's funny... I was on it for 6 months for some depression after my 1st heart attack and bypass and it did the complete opposite. But constipation is a side effect as well. Adding something like Miralax to your diet can help.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Sertraline and constipation

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    That's funny... I was on it for 6 months for some depression after my 1st heart attack and bypass and it did the complete opposite. But constipation is a side effect as well. Adding something like Miralax to your diet can help.

FMP
    That’s what I was expecting to happen so it’s made me more anxious. I am so tired of this constant fear and anxiety, I never feel truly happy.

Thread Information