Thread: Smear issues....

Smear issues....

I went for my smear today.....disaster! I'm hoping someone anyone cab relate. Short story first.......I had a fair amount of trouble beginning of the year with spotting and bleeding the week before my period after I had had a poo, I was referred to a gynecologist who like my doc said she thought it was hormonal and had a good look at my cervix, she said I had a ectropion but it look healthy. I had a transvaginal ultrasound too and all was fine, so hormones it is. I'm not on any contraception and my periods are there normal self, they wouldn't do a smear as mine was due in October (nearly now) and they don't do them early. Anyway I went today for my smear......waited for the nurse who I presume was running late so anxiety is setting in. Get up and tell her about my problems and I have a cervix that hids....hands under my bum and she finds it....has a quick touch and I bleed, she said I'm not sure I've got it and whether the cells will be any good because of blood, she goes off and leaves me for 10 mins to talk to a senior nurse. Comes back and says right she's not sure she actually got any cells and doesn't want me to get a false result so basically I've got to wait 3 months for the cells to regrow and go back!!!! As you can imagine I wasn't impressed. I remember I always bleed but has anyone ever experienced something like this? I'm 40 so bad my share of smears and they always struggle. Now my brain is in over drive with.......cancer!!!!! Going to speak to my doctor tomorrow. Much love x

Re: Smear issues....

I bleed every time I have a smear (I also have ectropion) but my nurse didn’t say anything about not getting any cells from it but sometimes yes it can come back with insufficient cells and then you would have to get it done again in 3 months.
    I think the nurse should have still sent your swab away whether she felt enough cells were collected or not instead of making you wait another 3 months. It’s nothing to do with cancer so don’t worry! They wouldn’t be waiting 3 months if it was! And smears aren’t a test for cancer they are a detection for abnormal cells that could potentially lead to cancer in the future but with smear checks it would be dealt with before that even happens.
    Have a chat with your doctor anyway because it will probably make you feel a bit better about it. I’m currently waiting for my smear results and I too bled so don’t worry about that.

Thread Information