Thread: Has anyone recovered from HA in long term?

Has anyone recovered from HA in long term?

I was hoping to hear some recovery stories. I realise it's probably slightly flawed sample group as i imagine most people who recovered don't come on the forum anymore (I know I didn't) but still.

My HA first appeared 4 and a half years ago and completely took over my life with endless horrible symptoms. After a year (and numerous tests) I gradually got better to the point it no longer took over my life on every day basis and most of my weird symptoms went away. I still obsessed about illnesses but much less and it was manageable and got triggered by body sensations a lot, but luckily I'm a healthy 20-something so it didn't happen a lot. There were also few impulsive a&e visits, but maybe once a year - which was a big improvement for me.

Few weeks ago my HA started again, after having an anxiety relapse and I'm suddenly really struggling again and having weird symptoms. I'm so tired and wondering if I will always be like this - obsessed with health and triggered whenever I experience a strange sensation, with a bigger relapse every few years. I'm sure I will get out of this glitch eventually - although not sure if I'm able to do it without seeking doctor's reassurance first - but what I really want is to live like a normal person again not always thinking about health. And also is seeking doctors advice when you experience scary symptoms really failing at managing? Because fact is that people with anxiety will experience strange symptoms that people without anxiety don't.

Re: Has anyone recovered from HA in long term?

This is such a great post because it shows the reality of HA.

I have come to the conclusion that some form of HA will always be a part of my life. The key for me is management. Ive gotten to a point where I’ll experience “scary” symptoms, panic a little, and then begin practicing the coping skills I’ve developed. Those include grounding myself in reality, implementing my two week rule (if this symptom is still around after two weeks I’ll make an appointment), and and breathing exercises. I’m slowly but surely retraining my brain to react differently when triggered but I think it will be a lifetime of work. I am functioning, compared to not being functional 3 years ago, and living a happy life.

There is hope.

Best Wishes

I've suffered from HA for about 10 years. It started off gradually for me, would have long breaks in between meltdowns, but over the years it slowly seemed to take over my life. I've had ups and downs with it and I'm not in a great place at the moment.
    From what I've heard and read, some people can get better and go on to live their lives without HA. But for other people it's a case of being able to manage it. They will always have it but can learn how to deal with it when it crops up.
    It's different for everyone, no 2 people's HA are the same. You need to figure out what works for you (meds, therapy, meditation, exercise etc) and every time it rears it's ugly head (if you weren't lucky enough to kick it for good) do what you have to do to get through that episode.

Just like NotDeadYet, I've accepted now that I will always have HA to some degree. I'm ok with that but I need to learn to deal with it and work through it when it happens. I'm struggling with that at the moment but that's just me. Plenty of people have recovered or have learned what works for them to get them thorough it.

There are many here that have recovered and you're right in that they are not part of the forum anymore. That said, there are some that are here that have recovered and offer great advice in how to do so. It still comes down to taking personal responsibility and having the inner fortitude to help yourself.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

There's no "one size fits all" way of managing HA but I do think that people should resist using this forum to symptom dump and expect "reassurance" because it will never be a long term strategy and can become addictive...as can be seen on here!

I find establishing some "rules" helpful...and sticking to them. No medical tests unless there is a clinical need. I always ask a doctor whether there is a clinical need for me to have a proposed test and they often say no..So I turn it down (yes I keep my fingers crossed for a while ) but it's a small "victory" and gives me some satisfaction that I've made the right decision.

This is such an important thread and thanks for starting it.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    There's no "one size fits all" way of managing HA but I do think that people should resist using this forum to symptom dump and expect "reassurance" because it will never be a long term strategy and can become addictive...as can be seen on here!

I find establishing some "rules" helpful...and sticking to them. No medical tests unless there is a clinical need. I always ask a doctor whether there is a clinical need for me to have a proposed test and they often say no..So I turn it down (yes I keep my fingers crossed for a while ) but it's a small "victory" and gives me some satisfaction that I've made the right decision.

This is such an important thread and thanks for starting it.
    That sounds like a really good, rational method! I think about this a lot - my issue is I don’t feel comfortable with my GP here at all. He doesn’t take me seriously even in the best of times when I have a real issue, so there’s no way I could bring myself to listen when I’m in a health anxiety mode. But I often think about what a difference a good GP that you trust and feel comfortable enough to discuss health anxiety with must make. I’m really glad to hear you’re able to do that!

Like the others, I think HA, and anxiety in general, will always be a part of me. You can see just recently I had a really bad month where I was not in a good place with HA or GAD but I've come out of it for the most part and am doing much better. I have had blips before but I haven't had one this bad in years, usually it's a couple of days and I'm over it, which is much better than where I was when I started!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by maianixon View Post

My HA first appeared 4 and a half years ago and completely took over my life with endless horrible symptoms. After a year (and numerous tests) I gradually got better to the point it no longer took over my life on every day basis and most of my weird symptoms went away. I still obsessed about illnesses but much less and it was manageable and got triggered by body sensations a lot, but luckily I'm a healthy 20-something so it didn't happen a lot. There were also few impulsive a&e visits, but maybe once a year - which was a big improvement for me.
    Few weeks ago my HA started again,
    From what you've written, I'd say that your HA never actually went away, and you've not mentioned anything about psychological therapy?

I'm suddenly really struggling again and having weird symptoms.
    Stress means the release of LOTS of stress hormones which equals weird (but normal) symptoms and sensations all over the body. When HA hasn't been addressed - as in what your root fear is - then it's back down the hole you go and that's because you haven't worked on the thought process of this disorder, so it's merely been having a snooze while it bides it's time until a stressful period comes along...

I'm so tired and wondering if I will always be like this - obsessed with health and triggered whenever I experience a strange sensation, with a bigger relapse every few years.
    If you don't do any therapy, then yes..

I'm sure I will get out of this glitch eventually - although not sure if I'm able to do it without seeking doctor's reassurance first
    You either want HA's grip off your nads or you don't. If it's the latter, you're going to have to work for it..

The good news is that I've had HA for 46 years - three of those being in control of it. I've had several significant health issues to test me over those three years and I didn't go back down that hole. I got there because I literally threw everything and anything at this disorder and I didn't give up when things didn't work first time. I managed to do this alongside a string of other MH disorders and a physical condition to cope with so I don't see why you can't successfully control your health anxiety..

The reality is that it's a LOT harder to work our way out of HA than it is to stay down the hole because to stay down, we just have to do nothing..

It's easy to tap away on a phone or a computer to seek reassurance but it's a very short-term fix for a long-term problem. It won't get you out of this..

You have to face your fear and change how you think. People who are anxiety prone will always have intrusive thoughts so we have to change how we respond to them when they come and not react with fear and panic because all that does is to tell the body to go into fight or flight response - hence all those symptoms which are even more unpleasant and bewildering because we're not actually faced with a threat to life danger. Often it's the case that we're sitting in our chairs and because of the thoughts we are thinking, our brain thinks we are in danger. It's all very simple when you understand what's happening and why..

So what started all this for you? What is it that you fear? Death, dying, being ill? And is it because somebody close to you has died or become ill?

My HA journey started when I was 5 years old because my grandad wasn't well. He had a heart condition and breathing issues and one Christmas an ambulance came for him. I can see myself now, sat on the stairs watching them carry him out of the front door.. I remember always feeling sick, my head feeling 'funny' and not being able to breathe very well. My HA culminated in a mental breakdown in 2017, and that was it for me. I told myself that I was going to do whatever it took for me to get well and stop dragging myself (and my family) down into the HA hellhole and I'm happy to say that the hard work paid off! HA isn't controlling me anymore. I don't fear death (but that came a long time ago due to a visit from a deceased grandmother) and I've accepted potential illness and know that I will handle it if that happens because I already have! 12 years ago, something went wrong during my pregnancy and I became very unwell, very quickly. I had to have an emergency op to get the baby out (three weeks before he was due) and I handled it beautifully, so I know I can do it, and also because it was real. It was happening to me and we tend to handle what's real far better than what we imagine..

You don't have to settle for being a 'functional HAer'. Certainly not before you've thrown everything you have at this disorder, right?

Bottom line: you have to make your peace with your inevitable death because you are going to die one day, and so will everybody on this forum. Every child playing in the street. Every cat. Every dog. Everybody. Cliff Richard? He aint immortal (though it seems that way)

You also have to accept potential illness and that illness doesn't equal death. Cancer doesn't mean death. My mother had cancer and died 7 years later cancer free. My aunty had cancer and she's still here - almost 80 years old and still enjoying life! My grandad hung on in there for another eight years after I saw him carted off in the ambulance. He was 81 when he died and he had his first heart attack aged 40 so do the maths? And he had a very full life too!

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. I'm boring myself so I'm off..

Quote Originally Posted by maianixon View Post
    That sounds like a really good, rational method! I think about this a lot - my issue is I don’t feel comfortable with my GP here at all. He doesn’t take me seriously even in the best of times when I have a real issue, so there’s no way I could bring myself to listen when I’m in a health anxiety mode. But I often think about what a difference a good GP that you trust and feel comfortable enough to discuss health anxiety with must make. I’m really glad to hear you’re able to do that!
    I think it's very important to show the GP that you have insight into HA and want to be able to manage it. You want to be taken seriously so you need to limit your visits and only go when you have an issue which needs a professional assessment or when you have a red flag symptom of course. Are you able to find another GP? Someone you would feel comfortable with talking about your HA and the need for him/her to be aware of this so some ground rules could be set re keeping a check on it and avoiding unnecessary testing?

By having a faith in Jesus, I believe you overcome the fear of death. Go to Jesus, ask him into your life, ask him for help.

6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Thread Information