Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waking same time every night to pee

Waking same time every night to pee

Hi.

It's been a while since I posted here. Things have been a lot more settled with my health anxiety for a good 18 months or so. But a frightening symptom has appeared and I'm trying to rationalise the situation and not end up in a panic driven spin out again.

About two weeks ago, I woke up at 2am needing to pee. Got up, had a pee, went back to bed. The same thing happened the next night at 2am and has continued to happen since (give or take an hour) with the exception of a couple of nights. It's not like I'm waking up desperate to go to the bathroom, that's not it at all. When it started, it was like I was waking up and then a few seconds later I felt like I could do with a pee. Now, I'm waking up and on some level the anxiety kicks in and I'm freaking out that I'm needing the toilet again. I'm extremely worried that it's a sign of prostate cancer. I'm 47, a non smoker who doesn't drink and exercises a lot. In fact, I have recently upped my road cycling and part of me wonders if this might a part to play in my problem. I'm riding a new bike which has a very hard seat and is quite uncomfortable, even when I've finished riding. A colleague of mine said that you'd have to be unlucky to get PC at 47 but I think I heard that this is the age that men can start to get it.

It feels like the waking up in the night is now becoming a 'thing'...if I do wake up in the night how do I stop myself from immediately thinking "OH GOD!!! I'm awake AGAIN and needing to pee"

Is your bladder/peeing THAT affected by subconscious anxiety????? I hate this, I really do....I thought I had my health anxiety under some control but it just feels like I'm right back in it again.

Any thoughts or info from anyone who might have experienced similar would be really, really gratefully received.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Dan21; 09-09-21 at 09:58.

Re: Waking same time every night to pee

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21 View Post
    Hi.

It's been a while since I posted here. Things have been a lot more settled with my health anxiety for a good 18 months or so. But a frightening symptom has appeared and I'm trying to rationalise the situation and not end up in a panic driven spin out again.
    HA LOVES this kind of dialogue!

About two weeks ago, I woke up at 2am needing to pee. Got up, had a pee, went back to bed. The same thing happened the next night at 2am and has continued to happen since (give or take an hour) with the exception of a couple of nights.
    The fact that you know what time it was tells me that you checked the time when you got up. Big mistake. HUGE!

Never check the time because your brain will remember and you will wake up again and you will check the time and see that it's 2am (or thereabouts) and the whole thing will be reinforced - by you.

I'm extremely worried that it's a sign of prostate cancer. I'm 47,
    It sounds remarkably like anxiety. (My dad had prostate cancer)

It feels like the waking up in the night is now becoming a 'thing'...if I do wake up in the night how do I stop myself from immediately thinking "OH GOD!!! I'm awake AGAIN and needing to pee"
    Firstly, remove the clocks from within reach and sight..

Secondly, take a look at what you are drinking after 6pm. Any stimulants? I had to get up and take a pee this morning (no idea what time though) because I'm 51 and so is my bladder. It's not abnormal to have to get up for 'a' wee in the night..

Is your bladder/peeing THAT affected by subconscious anxiety????? I hate this, I really do....
    Think of it this way...

Have you ever gone for a job interview, a date, or a hospital appointment and can't stop going for wee? That's the fight or flight response right there because the body is trying to purge everything that will hinder running or fighting, so urine, poo - food etc. And people who have anxiety disorders are anxious at night too..

When if you wake up again - DON'T CHECK THE TIME - and if you know you don't need a wee - tell your brain it's a false alarm. Do some deep breathing which physically puts your system into parasympathetic mode (rest and digest) and think of nice, non-pee-pee things..

If you're really concerned and will struggle to rationalise this then go see your doc and have him slip you the finger up the ol' botty. If there's a problem with the prostrate, he'll be able to feel something but in all honesty this just sounds like anxiety to me..

You're getting to the age where night time urination increases.
    Probably just a slightly enlarged prostate like I have but see your Dr and get it confirmed.
    They check it out with an ultra sound.Quick and easy.
    Only once is a good night for me.
    It's usually 2 or 3 times.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Welcome to getting older. I have prostate issues (BPH) and there are times I'm up every 2-3 hours. Not only does it take a few to get going but it feels like I never really empty. Just enough to take the pressure off and get back to sleep before I'm up a few hours later. Its annoying as hell! I go tomorrow for my annual physical and I'm going to ask about a med to help.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Sounds just like me FMP.
    No meds available as far as I know.
    If you find one please let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    Sounds just like me FMP.
    No meds available as far as I know.
    I tried Flomax a couple years ago and it really didn't help. There are a few more out there. I'll be asking tomorrow and let you know.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

Thanks mate

So I spoke to my GP today and he prescribed dutasteride (Avodart). Its an alpha inhibitor that shrinks the prostate by blocking the hormones that enlarge it. It can take up to 6 months to see any significant changes but I'm going to give it a whirl. If that doesn't work, then its time to see a urologist.

FMP

Thanks FMP
    I'll talk to my GP about it.
    I saw a urologist and he prescribed ADs which I'm already on
    I didn't bother going back to him.

Thanks FMP
    I'll talk to my GP about it.
    I saw a urologist and he prescribed ADs which I'm already on
    I didn't bother going back to him.
    When he did the 'ol pokarooni' he said it was enlarged but not terribly so. But he did say he could see why I was having issues. So yeah... I'll pick up the meds tomorrow and give them a whirl I should hopefully notice an improvement by the New Year.

Interesting that the urologist prescribed A/Ds as opposed to some of the other drugs. They are used for protatitus though.

FMP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information