Thread: Rabies fear

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rabies fear

Hi guys, I have had a big big rabies fear from about June-July 2020 which has been plaguing me for a little while now. In Sept/Oct 2020 I had a big panic related to this which led me to get the post exposure rabies vaccine in the UK which consists of 4 vaccines. Along with this I did talk to a therapist (and was diagnosed with OCD and Health anxiety) which did help me for a while however I feel like I was somewhat using the therapist for reassurance and I have started to somewhat relapse again. The past month my fears of rabies have been coming back slowly. A second look here, another check there, a gnawing worry every other day. This led to me eventually having a massive panic yesterday. A few days ago I was walking home from work as always and saw something back falling above and about 1.5 metres in front of me as I looked up. I froze up and looked around but I was not sure what it was or where it went, I only saw it for a split second and I do have some floaters which do sometimes do make me think something is there when it wasn't however from what I remember this seemed bigger. At that time I managed to get past that fear quite well however yesterday I saw some red spots on my elbow, 1 of which was particularly noticeable and looked like it could be a scratch, they were positioned in almost a square shape which immediately made me thing of a bat bite. This together with the fact I cannot remember what exactly I saw has me panicked and considering paying for a vaccine booster. It's honestly driving me crazy and I am hoping for some advice on how to alleviate these fears. My OCD feels otherwhelming sometimes, I was supposed to go out with friends this evening but my mind is telling me to go home and look for a bat on the way and look at things on the internet when you get home to make sure it wasn't a bat or anything like that.

I guess I am just venting and hoping someone can tell me I am being ridiculous but I know my mind won't believe that and will carry on stressing. The thing is I don't want to go for another vaccine or another check as I know this just reinforces the bad habits but it is so difficult. I have read the thread on this so may times but just can't seem to kick the fear. Has anyone managed to get rid of this worry.

Edit: Just also wanted to mention that I was worried I may not have felt the pain as it was on the elbow which is mostly numb to pain.
    Last edited by Jamie123; 09-09-21 at 16:35.

Thread Information