Thread: Sertraline - tummy problems?

Sertraline - tummy problems?

HI

Has anybody experienced any tummy problems, whilst taking Sertraline?

I have been on the liquid for 2 months (very low does) and just started the 50mg tablets since Saturday. My tummy has been a little strange the last couple of weeks. Not really pains, but sometimes it feels as if someone is sticking a pin into my skin, and sometimes it feels like itching skin on my tummy. It just feels sensitive. I have had pins and needles on various parts of my body due to anxiety, so I suppose it could be anxiety. I have also been feeling a little nauseous too. Of course, I have read that Stomach Cancer starts off in the lining of your stomach and that has made me worry!

Do you think it is the Sertraline that is causing this?

Mooky

Re: Sertraline - tummy problems?

Any thoughts on this, anyone?!

Yes Sertraline can make you feel sick I take them and when I first started made me feel bad for at least 2 weeks. Hang in there it does wear off don't think it is stomach cancer just your fear of it.
    P.S I feel much better on them now am finishing councelling this week

You can do this
    Lesley

Thanks Lesley

Glad to hear you are ok. I have days when I do not feel nauseous - it is strange. I have started to have a small bowl of cereal, before taking my tablet. I am not a fan of breakfast, but this may have had something to do with the nausea - taking a tablet just with water?! Since I started the tablets (been on low dose of liquid for a couple of months) a week ago, I do feel a little brighter in myself. If only this stomach thing would go, then I would be ok! It does say on the side effects, that you can get abdominal pain, so maybe it is just the tablets

Thanks

Mooky

Hi Mooky, glad to here your feeling brighter hopefully the nausea will settle down soon.
    Lesleyb

Hiya-
    I never ate breakfast until I took this medicine. Since I take mine in the morning, I will get nauseous if I don't eat soon after taking it. That might help a bit? I noticed you said you're eating after you take it so keep that up, see if that helps. Maybe?

i used to take this med and suffered with stomach pains for several years. all tests were negative but my gp told me that gastric upset is the most common side effect. i used to take mine on an empty stomach with water and i could literally feel the tablet burning me so i started to take it with food. the more you worry about your stomach pain - the worse it will be - also make sure you are not clenching/tensing your muscles in that area. x

Thread Information