Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eye twitching for several days, do not want to google

Re: Eye twitching for several days, do not want to google

Thank you guys, so much! I also keep on reading Fishmanpa's Sticky about ALS AND WHY YOU DO NOT HAVE IT. I will keep on reading it as long as it takes for me to emerge from this crisis.

Try not to see it as a "crisis", Lana? It's HA pure and simple. If you downgrade the issue it won't have the same power to terrify you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    Just want to add that, however, from last night, when I am not moving, I am twitching all over my body ( legs, arms). I am just hoping this is now happening because I worked myself up about the eye twitching. But regardless - I am scared. The more scared I am, the more I twitch. Everywhere ( left leg, both arms...) I am very sad. I will just hope this will pass.
    Sometimes I have full body spasms and my hand has twitched while I was holding a cup of coffee - in a coffee shop!

Try to see the connection in what you've said?

The more scared I am, the more I twitch.

This is about anxiety, hyperstimulation and the fight or flight response..

What's happening is that your body is constantly primed for fight or flight and part of this normal response to danger (whether it's real or imagined) is to send blood to the parts of the body that are required to fight or run like buggery.

Muscles tighten to prevent (or lessen) injury.

Electrical activity in the body is increased to improve reactivity.

Blood sugar is increased.

Any of the symptoms above, on their own, will cause muscle twitching..

Then there are other causes like sleep deprivation, medication side effects, hormone imbalance, nutritional deficiencies (magnesium being one culprit of muscle twitching), low blood sugar, hyperventilation, dehydration and all of these are the most likely cause of this symptom before you get anywhere near to neurological disorders. Because you have health anxiety your mind is taking you to the very worst, but least likely scenario. That's what HA does. The reason this is happening when you're not moving (I have full body spasms as well as twitching when I'm lying down) is because you have all those stress hormones in your body and every time you think scary thoughts, your body releases even more and symptoms like muscle twitching are inevitable. Your body is constantly in fight or flight mode, even when you're resting. Just because we're not moving about doesn't mean we're resting? People who have HA are never 'resting'. Their minds are always on the crazy train and so those symptoms keep on happening and they feel much worse because we're not moving to burn off some of that nervous energy.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Pulisa, thank you again for taking time for me.

Nora - thank you much, and yes, it truly does make sense. In the last 15 years or so of my mental struggle, my mind was - and I swear I am not exaggerating - able to produce every symptom under the Sun except actual bleeding.

As I may have mentioned earlier, I am suppose to see my eye doctor today (scheduled weeks ago for annual exam, new prescription and similar).I will obviously talk to him about the eyelid twitching, and take it from there.

I am so exhausted from not sleeping. Having this Forum , though, helps a lot.

Thank you guys , again.

Hi I have this random eye twitch that can go on for ages (think the longest was a fortnight I was convinced it was a brain problem) also the bruising I am have always got bruises on my legs or arm somewhere I bruise very easily. If I actually bang my leg on something the bruise will be terrible to the point my partner asks can I cover it as he’s embarrassed to be seen with me if it’s on show incase people think he’s done it 😂 x

Also had eye twitching periods of many weeks normally comes when I've had a period of bad sleep & too much computer work. I was recommended eye drops a couple of times a day when it happens, actually found eye gel helped the most. Also like Nora said above, make sure you're getting enough minerals (drink mineral water for a few days, I take magnesium every day too before bed), anxiety & stress can drain your body of essential minerals which can make you twitchy.

Thank you Tomtom83 for your reply.

It is about 9 days today. I am trying to rationalize, but this really keeps me down. I saw my eye doctor in the meantime ( it was scheduled long ago), and he said often people come to him for eyelid twitching only, because they get scared.He explained that his is pretty common and harmless, sometimes may take long time to disappear. Unfortunately, since I started randomly twitching all over, it is very hard to stay calm. Eye doctor, naturally, did not comment on body twitching, but I understand that. I am seeing my GP (internist) tomorrow whom I trust, and who has known me for years. I am hoping he will give me just basic clinical neuro exam , confirm that I have no damage, and no need to see neurologist, and help me not being this afraid. Please guys, wish me luck for Friday morning. Thank you all again for taking time to respond and support me.

Good luck, Lana. It's good that you trust your GP and that he won't refer you to a neurologist just for reassurance purposes which would not be helpful in terms of HA management. Please let us know how you get on? Not long to wait now.

Good luck, if it helps I can get muscle twitches all over the place again coupled with bad sleep & stress. Used to train a lot & could get similar after long weights sessions, just fatigued muscles & I would say you have nothing to worry about but trust what the doctor says.

EDIT: I take a pinch of salt in water a couple of times a day too, helps make sure you're getting enough potassium which is used in muscle contractions

So Lana can I ask you a timeline thing …. did you get an eye twitch then start worrying about ALS? And then, AFTER you began worrying about ALS, you got widespread twitching?

It has happened this way for me too. And the “ anecdata” suggests that worrying about ALS CAUSES twitches. I think it’s fascinating if true. Someone should do a research project on it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information