Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife has covid

Re: My wife has covid

A lot of people don't want the lateral test Phil including members on here. If you are self isolating anyway then you don't really need it because that's what you would have to do if it was positive. As it happens, your partner is positive so you have to isolate because of living in the same household or having contact with someone is the same scenario. But you still might not necessarily have it yourself or get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1108 View Post
    Do you have any underlying conditions Phil? If not, then if you do catch it you will very very likely be fine. And it may even calm your covid anxiety going forward. Just trust in your immune system. I think it's just going to be one of those things that almost everyone will get at some point in their lives. As far as the vaccine is concerned, I had covid unvaccinated in December and it was mild and I recovered within a couple of weeks except from some lingering fatigue. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery!
    Thanks no conditions only mental health anxiety ect but that’s the worst bit having anxiety it’s awful..

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    A lot of people don't want the lateral test Phil including members on here. If you are self isolating anyway then you don't really need it because that's what you would have to do if it was positive. As it happens, your partner is positive so you have to isolate because of living in the same household or having contact with someone is the same scenario. But you still might not necessarily have it yourself or get it.
    Ok so ten days off work?

These are the NHS Scotland guidelines for isolation, Phil.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...irus-infection

From that:

If you're not fully vaccinated

If you’re a close contact under 18 years and 4 months or you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, you can only end self-isolation if you receive a negative PCR test result and you do not have, or develop, symptoms.

If you are over 18 years and 4 months old and are not fully vaccinated, you must complete 10 days of self-isolation from your last date of contact with a positive case, even if you do not have symptoms and you receive a negative test result. The reason we say 18 years and 4 months is to allow time for individuals to become fully vaccinated.
    Children under 5 years old who are close contacts do not need to self-isolate and are encouraged to book a test. If they develop symptoms, they should self-isolate and book a test.

If you’re a close contact and you’ve tested positive for coronavirus in the last 90 days but you’re not fully vaccinated, you should self-isolate for 10 days. You do not have to book a test unless you develop new symptoms.

[...]

What we mean by household isolation

Household isolation means you and all household members or extended household members should remain at home and shouldn’t go to work, school, public areas or use public transport. You shouldn’t go out to buy food or other essentials.
    Avoid close contact with others by:

• not having visitors
    • not using taxis or public transport
    • asking a friend or neighbour to get your shopping or arranging for a delivery to be left at your door
    • not sharing towels, clothes, toothbrushes or razors

If you are told to self-isolate by Test and Protect you may be eligible for a £500 Self-Isolation Support Grant.

Normally, if you get a positive result from a lateral flow test you are supposed to follow it up with a PCR test in case the LFT is a false positive - has this been done?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    These are the NHS Scotland guidelines for isolation, Phil.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses...irus-infection

From that:

Normally, if you get a positive result from a lateral flow test you are supposed to follow it up with a PCR test in case the LFT is a false positive - has this been done?
    She’s going to get a PCR test today do results come quick?

So she has no cough no fever but lack of taste and headache is this common with COVID?

Quote Originally Posted by phil06 View Post
    She’s going to get a PCR test today do results come quick?
    Usually 24 hours, Phil. We've had a few at work do this - when someone has tested positive, their partner gets a PCR test too.

I very much doubt the saliva test would be accepted by your workplace though.

So she has no cough no fever but lack of taste and headache is this common with COVID?
    You're assuming she has Covid, Phil - a friend had the same symptoms and tested negative but as a rule with Delta, yes. The guidelines - like the vaccines - really need updating.

She is partially vaccinated? If so, she will have some resistance to Covid, so may not get all the symptoms.

I would always encourage taking a test if you’ve been in close contact with a positive case, especially if you’re completely unvaccinated. There’s also the fact of how much more transmissible the Delta variant is. Of course, I’m not for one moment suggesting you’re at a risk of a severe outcome, the risk of that for someone your age is still vanishingly small.

It’s more for your own good, really. You may be positive but pre-symptomatic right now, and develop symptoms in a couple of days. All this does is prolong your isolation period and of course leave you at risk of going into the world while being highly infectious to others.

Your isolation period of ten days will begin from the date your wife receives a positive result from her PCR test, assuming it is positive of course. Your wife’s isolation period of ten days should begin from the date she first felt symptoms. So you see, you may start an isolation period of ten days tomorrow, develop symptoms in a few days then have to start it again. Why not just take a test along with your wife? Gets it over with, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary A View Post
    Why not just take a test along with your wife? Gets it over with, no?
    Given that PCR tests involve swabbing I think that will be a lot, if not too much, for Phil to process.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information