Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head, meet wall

Head, meet wall

Trying very, very hard to be helpful and offer reassurance and positive advice on the forum - it's called No More Panic, after all.

I'm getting so sick of having my advice ignored or dismissed, though. I know not everything works for everyone, but I've been in a position where my anxiety lost me my friends, my dignity, my self-respect and more employment opportunities than I care to think about. I'm not all the way in the clear yet, but I'm better than I was and I'm enjoying life.

I don't do this for gratitude or pats on the backside, I do it because anxiety is crap and makes people incredibly unhappy, and in an ideal world, I'd like to help with that.

Just a basic acknowledgement of what I'm saying and where I'm coming from occasionally would be nice, though.

Probably time to back away for a while, but frankly, that's not likely.

Re: Head, meet wall

I hear you Blue..

I'm ignored by the OP's a lot, and it bothers me too given the effort and time I put into my posts. But, as someone reminded me recently, other people are reading this forum and while the people we're responding to might not give a shit about helping themselves, or even have the common courtesy to thank us for our time - other people are benefitting from what we write..

You're lovely, knowledgeable, helpful, and polite. Those are great qualities to have so just keep being you and try not to let people (who don't have those qualities) bring you down.

Thanks, Nora. You always know the most helpful thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Thanks, Nora. You always know the most helpful thing to say.

Can I just say BI- I honestly do admire you enormously. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. You are amongst the very best NMP has to offer. You joined when you were suffering badly with anxiety and yet you stuck around even when you no longer needed help yourself. You didn’t need to do that. You did it because you are kind. You want to help people. I see you. Not many people can match you. Hardly anyone else has done the same (a few others have of course. And they know who they are xx) Anxiety makes people selfish. I know that first hand. But I totally agree. Just an acknowledgement that someone has taken the time to offer the advice being asked for. It shouldn’t be too hard should it?

But please don’t leave. I would miss you too much!

Blue, I get where you are coming from but hey, there's nothing stranger than folk. We should know that by now.
    But someone will always surprise me with their actions or cruel words. Or like you say, just being ignored.
    So it's a case of find happiness within, find what works for you and what doesn't and that includes people! Don't waste your time on people that don't appreciate your efforts and use that extra energy elsewhere. We are all on a learning curve throughout life and believe me when I tell you that you are not alone in your feelings. x

Thanks for the encouragement, all!

@Jojo - I promise, not gonna abandon you, you're way too cool.

Head, meet wall

I have permanent bruises on my head

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I personally would like to thank each and every one of you for trying so hard to help others.

I really do appreciate the dedicated people who help keep NMP running with their replies.

I don't reply to anywhere near the number of posts I used to as I ran out of steam with being ignored a lot as well but we all still plod on so thank you.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information