Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Head, meet wall

Re: Head, meet wall

I'm glad you've had such positive feedback to this thread, BI. You give such great advice and support and you challenge people appropriately when they make excuses for not attempting to get better despite saying that they want to. It's far easier to spout platitudes or come out with a tea and sympathy approach which gets you nowhere.

I hope you carry on doing what you do on NMP because people DO benefit even if they fail to acknowledge the help you have provided.

Nic, thank you!!! For creating this Site

Thanks, Pulisa.

When I was drowning in my HA, I used to complain that my husband wasn't sympathetic enough and just didn't get it. It was only when I hit rock bottom that I realised that I was being irrational and had to take responsibility for myself - the problem wasn't my health, it was my beliefs.

I'm not a naturally cruel person, I've just seen for myself that endless reassurance and sympathy simply make the health anxiety cycle worse.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Thanks, Pulisa.

When I was drowning in my HA, I used to complain that my husband wasn't sympathetic enough and just didn't get it. It was only when I hit rock bottom that I realised that I was being irrational and had to take responsibility for myself - the problem wasn't my health, it was my beliefs.

I'm not a naturally cruel person, I've just seen for myself that endless reassurance and sympathy simply make the health anxiety cycle worse.

I agree..and we all have to take responsibility for our own mental health and not expect others to sort things out for us.

BI - definitely stay, you have really helped me since I've been on here, even when I was at my most terrible!

I'm so glad I found this site.

I have to agree with Nora - I don’t post often about my own struggles. It just doesn’t seem to help me, probably why I avoid therapy like the plague too. But I’ve read many threads on here that tie into what I’m experiencing, and you and Nora both offer some great advice and tips that I’ve put to use - I normally don’t post on the threads to thank you because I hate hijacking others posts lol but - just know you are helpful, and appreciated!!! In lieu of focusing and posting about my own issues, it helps me to find others posts where I can hopefully contribute something helpful - focusing on that almost always makes my anxiety disappear for the moment. Kind of crazy lol.

As someone who has spent the last 6 months reading through so much of this site, I would just like to thank all of the long time posters. You have no idea how valuable your advice has been to me, and I would suspect, thousands of others. I often find all of your advice better than therapy and your comments to others help immensely. So please know you are making such a huge difference! Xo

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    I have to agree with Nora - I don’t post often about my own struggles. It just doesn’t seem to help me, probably why I avoid therapy like the plague too. But I’ve read many threads on here that tie into what I’m experiencing, and you and Nora both offer some great advice and tips that I’ve put to use - I normally don’t post on the threads to thank you because I hate hijacking others posts lol but - just know you are helpful, and appreciated!!! In lieu of focusing and posting about my own issues, it helps me to find others posts where I can hopefully contribute something helpful - focusing on that almost always makes my anxiety disappear for the moment. Kind of crazy lol.
    I'm like you, glassgirl and feel the same way about what I can contribute to NMP..and what helps me to manage my own anxiety if I can help anyone else who is struggling.

Thank you, sel, for such a kind and thoughtful post. No one on here is an "expert" but we all have loads of experience of living with anxiety and if we can help anyone in any small way then that's such a boost for us too.

100% in agreement Blue.

In my experience 90% of people are looking for reassurance. It's like a dopamine hit, once the poster gets what they came for they're off.

There's the other kinds of people that blow off advice, or completely ignore it. And it sucks because you (and I do it too) share our life experiences to help others not walk down the same path we're often still walking.

There's few here who help out Blue, but just know that there are anonymous strangers arriving from Google, who don't have accounts, who you are no doubt helping!

I post a lot about my struggles, and try to help others. Like Pulisa, it helps my own anxiety.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I personally would like to thank each and every one of you for trying so hard to help others.

I really do appreciate the dedicated people who help keep NMP running with their replies.

I don't reply to anywhere near the number of posts I used to as I ran out of steam with being ignored a lot as well but we all still plod on so thank you.
    Thank YOU for creating a space for us. I've many people on here I would class as friends, and would go out of my way to help. I don't know what I'd do if this place was no longer available.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information