Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart palps, eptopics or what ever they’re called!!

Talking Heart palps, eptopics or what ever they’re called!!

Hey everyone.

So I’ve been having palpitations for about 3 months now, I’ve experienced them before but only the odd random one here and there, which is quite strange because I’ve had anxiety for about 15 years now.

So over the last few month I’ve had these feelings in my chest, I don’t know what they are, I’m guessing from reading other posts it’s palpitations. I’ve recently had a ecg, well many weeks ago actually but I can’t get to talk to my doctor about my result. So I rang them and I’ve got to wait until 28th September for a phone app.
    Any way I just wondered what these things are? I’ve always called them ectopics , but maybe palpitations I really don’t know so I’ll describe for you.

So when I first started to get them, I’d get a random urge to take a massive breath and then cough. After a second it would pass and I’d not think anything of it.
    Over the weeks, I’d get the similar thing but it’s as though I could feeling it brewing and I knew when to look at my watch and I’d catch my HR either drop to about 58 or it would jump up to up to 160. Recently the feeling of one coming lasts alot longer, it makes me want to clear my throat and alot makes me feel like I have to breath alot or something it pressing my chest. It’s becoming quite concerning for me, obviously I have health anxiety and it’s been very bad over the months, but I also am aware when things are quite right. Some time I get this all day, other times only once or twice a day.

I’m relatively health, not health probs, I’ve had ecgs in the past but nothing in the last ten years, but I’ve had children, operations etc so I’m hoping if I had a problem it would have been picked up.

I’ve had recent bloods, full screening, and I have anemia but I’ve been on treatment for that for almost 6weeks, and feeling tons better.

I don’t want to be a ticking time bomb. Does this sound normal anxiety? As I can’t talk to my doc for some time. I’ve never had heart anxiety but this really is pants!

Sarah

http://Instagram.com/made_brightly

Re: Heart palps, eptopics or what ever they’re called!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsriley79 View Post
    I’ve always called them ectopics , but maybe palpitations I really don’t know so I’ll describe for you.
    It's the short pause after an ectopic beat that causes the 'missed beat' sensation. Ectopic are normal in a healthy heart and there's no evidence to suggest that your heart isn't healthy.

Palpitations are where the heart starts banging like a shithouse door in a gale. Hard and fast baby. That's palpitations for ya!

Over the weeks, I’d get the similar thing but it’s as though I could feeling it brewing and I knew when to look at my watch and I’d catch my HR either drop to about 58 or it would jump up to up to 160. Recently the feeling of one coming lasts alot longer, it makes me want to clear my throat and alot makes me feel like I have to breath alot or something it pressing my chest. It’s becoming quite concerning for me, obviously I have health anxiety and it’s been very bad over the months, but I also am aware when things are quite right. Some time I get this all day, other times only once or twice a day.
    We've been here before though Sarah? (and only a few weeks ago)

You're not still wearing that watch are you? That's prime HA fodder!

I’ve had recent bloods, full screening, and I have anemia but I’ve been on treatment for that for almost 6weeks, and feeling tons better.
    That's great!

Does this sound normal anxiety? As I can’t talk to my doc for some time. I’ve never had heart anxiety but this really is pants!
    No, it sounds like an anxiety disorder. Anxiety is normal. Everybody experiences anxiety - just not all of the time.

Get rid of that damn watch! X

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    It's the short pause after an ectopic beat that causes the 'missed beat' sensation. Ectopic are normal in a healthy heart and there's no evidence to suggest that your heart isn't healthy.

Palpitations are where the heart starts banging like a shithouse door in a gale. Hard and fast baby. That's palpitations for ya!

We've been here before though Sarah? (and only a few weeks ago)

You're not still wearing that watch are you? That's prime HA fodder!

That's great!

No, it sounds like an anxiety disorder. Anxiety is normal. Everybody experiences anxiety - just not all of the time.

Get rid of that damn watch! X

Thankyou NoraB . Not palpitations then…

I can except ectopics if my doctor would just tell me my ecg results or at least listen to my heart or something. I had the ecg last time I posted on here because of the ectopics, but they were not half this bad then.

I don’t like the permanent feeling in my chest, is my heart causing that? I can’t imagine so but it’s a similar feeling to a ectopic, but makes me feel breathless or tight chested most of the time.

honestly it’s just so poo…

sorry to be a pain again.. but I did try and sit quiet about these, but last night my heart was jumping up and down for ages and that freaked me out

Sarah

My daughter had an ECG yesterday and was told straightaway that an arrthymia had shown up and she will need to talk to the referring GP on Friday.

I think the fact that you have to wait for your results is a sign that nothing abnormal has been found on the ECG.

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My daughter had an ECG yesterday and was told straightaway that an arrthymia had shown up and she will need to talk to the referring GP on Friday.

I think the fact that you have to wait for your results is a sign that nothing abnormal has been found on the ECG.
    a nurse did mine at my gp practice and she said a doctor will assess the results.

ive rang twice only to be told to wait to find out x

So this afternoon I’ve had ectopics twice. The second was very tight in my chest almost a tiny bit painful? Is this still ectopics? My chest muscles? It’s really freaking me out.

I’m home alone with my 4 kids and there’s no time to rest and relax,

sarah x

Quote Originally Posted by Mrsriley79 View Post
    Thankyou NoraB . Not palpitations then…

I can except ectopics if my doctor would just tell me my ecg results or at least listen to my heart or something. I had the ecg last time I posted on here because of the ectopics, but they were not half this bad then.
    You've had an ECG? If so, you'd know if there was an issue with your heart. An ECG shows that the heart is (or isn't) working as it should do. If your doctor hasn't said anything, that's because there's nothing to say.

I don’t like the permanent feeling in my chest, is my heart causing that? I can’t imagine so but it’s a similar feeling to a ectopic, but makes me feel breathless or tight chested most of the time.

honestly it’s just so poo…
    People who suffer from anxiety commonly complain of the following...

Unusual tightness or pressure in the chest.
    Shooting pains.
    Sharp stabbing pains.
    Tight chest muscles.
    Burning.
    Numbness.
    Uneasiness.
    Fullness in the chest area.
    Twitching chest muscles.

Chest pain can affect one area, the whole area, or it can move about.

It can precede, accompany, or follow a period of anxiety or appear as if 'out of the blue'.

And these pains can come and go, or be constant..

People who have health anxiety generally confuse these anxiety symptoms with those of heart problems..

sorry to be a pain again.. but I did try and sit quiet about these, but last night my heart was jumping up and down for ages and that freaked me out

Sarah
    And with each 'skip & jump' you'd have been throwing fear into the mix and if you add fear & panic to this anxiety symptom you'll get more of the same..

Have you tried talking a magnesium supplement? Many people do (including me) and they help enormously with ectopic beats..

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    You've had an ECG? If so, you'd know if there was an issue with your heart. An ECG shows that the heart is (or isn't) working as it should do. If your doctor hasn't said anything, that's because there's nothing to say.

People who suffer from anxiety commonly complain of the following...

Unusual tightness or pressure in the chest.
    Shooting pains.
    Sharp stabbing pains.
    Tight chest muscles.
    Burning.
    Numbness.
    Uneasiness.
    Fullness in the chest area.
    Twitching chest muscles.

Chest pain can affect one area, the whole area, or it can move about.

It can precede, accompany, or follow a period of anxiety or appear as if 'out of the blue'.

And these pains can come and go, or be constant..

People who have health anxiety generally confuse these anxiety symptoms with those of heart problems..

And with each 'skip & jump' you'd have been throwing fear into the mix and if you add fear & panic to this anxiety symptom you'll get more of the same..

Have you tried talking a magnesium supplement? Many people do (including me) and they help enormously with ectopic beats..

sadly it took my doctor 2 weeks to tell me I was quite anemic. So doesn’t fill me with great positivity.

ive had the worst day on ectopic today and during a run of 3 my chest was incredibly tight. I can’t deal with them if I’m told they are benign. Until then which is a way off, I’ll panic, especially as they’re worsening. This is the first time I’ve had three within a space of about a minute, which caused strain in my chest for sure, and sweating.

honestly if it’s not one thing I’d something else.

tganks for replying again NoraB

Sarah x

I had loads of ectopics picked up on my 24 hour monitor, Sarah..I won't say how many just that the number doesn't matter. They are completely benign which is why your GP is not contacting you.

As somebody who regularly gets all manner of skips, pauses, thumps and fluttering, I know how scary it can be when you don't know what's going on with your heart. Ectopics, PVCs and PACs are usually benign though. Some people get them more than others, and some people just feel them more intensely. Feeling them more intensely doesn't indicate that they're more harmful or anything like that. Mine feel like I'm suddenly dropping on a rollercoaster then I get a massive thump in my chest, or sometimes a flutter. It's terrifying when it happens, but I have been assured it isn't hurting me.

Like others have said here, your GP would have contacted you pretty quickly if there was anything of concern on the ECG.

Another thing that makes palpitations happen much more frequently is stress. Is it possible that you're more aware of them now, so they're happening more often? The heart reacts to stress hormones, so I would guess some of the uncertainty and anxiety about about them is making them worse.

Don't focus too much on the watch for heart rate readings. While they give a good general overview, they are notorious for taking false readings that either half or double your actual heart rate. Mine does it a lot when its not very snug on my wrist, or my skin is slightly perspiring. Even jerky movements like fixing your hair or throwing something in the bin can throw it off now and again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information