Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heart palps, eptopics or what ever they’re called!!

Re: Heart palps, eptopics or what ever they’re called!!

Quote Originally Posted by WorryRaptor View Post
    As somebody who regularly gets all manner of skips, pauses, thumps and fluttering, I know how scary it can be when you don't know what's going on with your heart. Ectopics, PVCs and PACs are usually benign though. Some people get them more than others, and some people just feel them more intensely. Feeling them more intensely doesn't indicate that they're more harmful or anything like that. Mine feel like I'm suddenly dropping on a rollercoaster then I get a massive thump in my chest, or sometimes a flutter. It's terrifying when it happens, but I have been assured it isn't hurting me.

Like others have said here, your GP would have contacted you pretty quickly if there was anything of concern on the ECG.

Another thing that makes palpitations happen much more frequently is stress. Is it possible that you're more aware of them now, so they're happening more often? The heart reacts to stress hormones, so I would guess some of the uncertainty and anxiety about about them is making them worse.

Don't focus too much on the watch for heart rate readings. While they give a good general overview, they are notorious for taking false readings that either half or double your actual heart rate. Mine does it a lot when its not very snug on my wrist, or my skin is slightly perspiring. Even jerky movements like fixing your hair or throwing something in the bin can throw it off now and again.

oh how id love to take not a lot of notice of these blighters!

But here I am, full blown health anxiety and stuck in a rut. Maybe when I’ve had some gp answers (most people with eptopics are fitted with a 24hr monitor etc to catch them, so I’d at least expect that . 🤔 I don’t know.

all I know is they’re getting worse and upsetting me very much

thanks for your replies

sarah

http://Instagram.com/made_brightly

Mine get way, way more frequent when I focus on them. The trick is learning to just tune them out and accept them. They’ll eventually fade away. Not saying that’s an easy task at all, I still struggle with it. But I try hard when I get one to just tell myself it’s normal and move about my day. I do agree you should get them checked out if you haven’t already though. I got a bit confused with your posts and the comments - if you’ve had a recent ekg and all was normal, it’s time to work on the anxiety surrounding them.

as for the watch - yeah, put that away for awhile. My HA has always centered around my heart so there are periods that I just can’t wear my watch. I find myself obsessing over heart rates and such and they aren’t always accurate on those watches.

Quote Originally Posted by glassgirlw View Post
    Mine get way, way more frequent when I focus on them. The trick is learning to just tune them out and accept them. They’ll eventually fade away. Not saying that’s an easy task at all, I still struggle with it. But I try hard when I get one to just tell myself it’s normal and move about my day. I do agree you should get them checked out if you haven’t already though. I got a bit confused with your posts and the comments - if you’ve had a recent ekg and all was normal, it’s time to work on the anxiety surrounding them.

as for the watch - yeah, put that away for awhile. My HA has always centered around my heart so there are periods that I just can’t wear my watch. I find myself obsessing over heart rates and such and they aren’t always accurate on those watches.

Thankfully after some persuading, my GP phoned me, he said ECG was fine, but he’s going to get me in to one of those 24/48 monitors to capture the extopics, so im
    grateful, but I have to wait about 2 weeks as there’s a waiting list at our surgery.

Thankyou Glassgirlw, it’s all
    i can do is try and ignore them, tell them where to go! Yes my watch has
    neen removed, as I think I’m checking my HR and running a basic ecg to mix and im
    sure its not helping me!

Sarah

http://Instagram.com/made_brightly

Hello all, I’m in the same boat as you, recently started on the ectopic train! Now that I’m all aboard, I’m experiencing frequent episodes of an ectopic occurring every 5/6 heart beats, followed by brief interludes of your average sinus rhythm. I hope it gets better soon, I’ve had health anxiety for 7 years now and this has finally made me realise that I’ve got to get on top of it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information