Thread: High Risk HPV , CIN1 and Anal / Cervical Cancer fear

High Risk HPV , CIN1 and Anal / Cervical Cancer fear

Hi,

I had my first pap smear at the start of summer. I tested positive for high grade HPV and Low Grade changes. This was a huge shock as I am only 25 and I was HPV vaccinated as a child. I was referred for a colposcopy. The nurse suspected CIN1 but as the cells surrounded the whole of my cervix she wanted to biopsy to be sure. The biopsy came back as CIN1 and I have been told to come back for a smear in 1 years time. They hope that the cell changes will clear themselves.

This should be really good news!!! but my health anxiety means I am freaking out. When I know I have CIN1 and high risk HPV in my body, 1 year seems a long wait.

Additionally, about 6 months ago I had some blood, that i am pretty sure came from my bum, but maybe from my cervix, it was deffo abnormal bleeding and there was a fair amount of blood but this one happened once. I feel a normal person would have completely forgotten this even happened by now. I also had small amounts of red blood on the tissue paper for a little while, I think this may have been from wiping too hard as this seems to have sorted itself out. I also occasionally get mucus when i wipe but this isn't a new symptom for me. However, I have definitely been needing a number 2 more regularly, and i feel like i have lost sense of what is normal for me because of my health anxiety. I am not going a crazy amount of times a day maybe 2-3, sometimes loose stool sometimes not.

This lines up with some of the symptoms of anal cancer and now i know i am HPV positive I am freaking out, even tho the blood situation seems to have resolved itself and anal cancer is very rare in my age group. I have had anal sex which does put me more at risk so I am struggling to deal with the health anxiety surrounding this.

I also constantly worry they missed something at the colposcopy or that they didn't biopsy the worse looking area.

I just wondered if anyone else has been in a similar situation re HPV positive CIN1 and health anxiety.

Re: High Risk HPV , CIN1 and Anal / Cervical Cancer fear

Yes, except mine was grade 3 or 4, can’t remember as it’s been so long ago. It freaked me out so bad I waited three years to go for the colposcopy. But eventually I did it, and my HPV went away on its own too. All back to normal now.

definitely get the colposcopy, go back for your follow up in a year, but don’t waste energy stressing over this. It is so, so common. And it’s the reason for the smears. Cervical cancers are super slow growing. Getting your scheduled exams helps them catch anything early and get it sorted before it becomes a problem.

Thread Information