Thread: Thinking of quitting due to massive weight gain

Thinking of quitting due to massive weight gain

I am currently just over 1 month on lyrica for anxiety.
    Unfortunately I have noticed already a massive weight gain. I’m really disappointed as SSRIs I cannot take.
    I am eating healthy and going to the gym, jogging and dog walking. However I ballooned up something shocking.
    Anyone else have this problem? Any thoughts of what I should do

Oh and if I do decide to go off it will my weight go back to normal, I’ve read somewhere that it’s water retention due to the lyrica

Re: Thinking of quitting due to massive weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by irishman7 View Post
    I am currently just over 1 month on lyrica for anxiety.
    Unfortunately I have noticed already a massive weight gain.
    ...I am eating healthy and going to the gym, jogging and dog walking. However I ballooned up something shocking.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    Pregabalin can trigger considerable weight gain in some. Unfortunately, there are no easy way of preventing it and you're already exercising which is the usual advice. I suggest you discuss this with your GP before doing anything. It should be weaned off so DO NOT stop taking pregabalin cold-turkey.

I’m really disappointed as SSRIs I cannot take.
    SSRIs/SNRIs are not the only ADs and, arguably, they aren't even the most effective. The older TCA and MAOI class ADs can be at least as effective and are often more so.

Weight gain can be an issue with most ADs too. The only ones that don't often trigger it are bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) and trazodone (Desyrel, Oleptro). Bupropion is a very stimulating AD, often way too stimulating for those with anxiety disorders and trazodone isn't a mainstream AD so can be difficult to get. These days it is mostly prescribed for SSRI induced insomnia.

Oh and if I do decide to go off it will my weight go back to normal, I’ve read somewhere that it’s water retention due to the lyrica
    While fluid retention is a common side-effect most of the weight gain comes from over eating and/or other metabolic changes. If there is significant fluid retention then it will usually be most noticeable in the lower legs and feet with the left leg and foot often more affected than the right. Diuretic meds can reduced fluid build up, but they also increase peeing frequency which can be a problem as you may not be able to venture too far from bathrooms!

Thread Information