Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss - A Positive Post!

Weight Loss - A Positive Post!

Hey all! Wasn’t real sure where to post this so I went with Misc.

I’ve been a yo-yo dieter for years. So many years. I’ll lose weight, then gain it again when I go back to old habits, etc. Ongoing since I was in high school 20+ years ago. I decided in May that I’d had enough and set out to make a lifestyle change rather than a diet change. As of this mornings weigh in I’ve lost 46.8 pounds. So happy. Now to keep going with it and not fall back into my old ways!!! I have a very, very long way to go. At minimum I want to lose another 140 or so pounds - I’m massively overweight for my 5’5” height But I feel like this is a really good start. So many improvements in my daily health I can already see - I’m not winded climbing stairs, my resting (and even walking) heart rate has lowered by 10 Bpm or more, my ankle and knee joint pain are less noticeable, I sleep better at night and have more energy at work. Next week it’s supposed to be highs in the 70’s around here so I’m hoping to start introducing some nightly walks if I can motivate myself.

Just wanted to share because changing your diet really does have a positive effect on physical and even mental health!!

Re: Weight Loss - A Positive Post!

You have done incredibly well to keep going with your new regime, GG and it will now be a way of life for you and a definite change for the better!

Congratulations for making the decision to change your lifestyle and for sticking with it! That's no mean feat by any means!

Thanks, P!!! I’m super proud of myself thus far. The holidays will be tough as they are for many, I’m sure. There’s always treats and goodies around. Just have to keep reminding myself why I’m doing this, and allow some treats in moderation only. As of now I’m feeling pretty confident!!

It's just about being disciplined and sticking to your guns! It's not compulsory to overeat during the holidays and you can take choose to eat what you like, not what others force on you out of habit?

That's brilliant! Well done you!

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    It's just about being disciplined and sticking to your guns! It's not compulsory to overeat during the holidays and you can take choose to eat what you like, not what others force on you out of habit?
    That’s been my problem in the past - I choose to have it all I struggle with maintaining portion control. Just have to keep at it!!

thank you, Catkins!

Wow! Very proud of you glassgirlw

glassgirl that's brilliant!! Proud of you too and feeling better about yourself is just the thing we need when us anxiety people often fall in the opposite direction. I've been on a similar journey over the last few years and so far have managed to keep it off. I try not to think 'ok that's done now' because with mental health our physical health goes hand in hand. So I think back to how I was and decide 'no I don't want to be that again'.

Well done!!

Thanks Mrs. C and Fishman! I appreciate it!!

Im exactly the same way, Fish. I can’t figure out why I always “fall off the wagon” so to speak because from an HA standpoint I always feel so much better mentally when my diet is good!! You’d think that would be enough to keep me moving in the right direction. I’m really determined to stick with it this time around. I just got to the point where I hated getting out of bed each day because something new hurt. And I’m 42 years old. God willing (or whatever your beliefs are) I have some good years left in me. I don’t want to end up someone who is bed bound relying on family to care for me because of my size. And I have no doubt, had I continued down the path I was on, I would have been that person at some point. Not happening!!!

Keep at it, Fishman. Good on you for keeping yours off, I think that’s almost harder than losing it to begin with! I think I’m going to use this thread as kind of a progress journey, if for no other reason that I can come back and read if I’m having struggles staying on track. And any others reading who find themselves on the same weight loss journey, feel free to share tips, tricks, and positive changes you’ve noticed in your own physical and mental health along the way! It might help others too.

It might help to envisage how weight loss and maintenance of weight within a healthy range could free you from the misery of hip and knee replacements as you get older because lugging excess weight around just puts so much pressure on joints..Pressure that you don't want and which you can do something about..now.

BP problems, weight-induced diabetes and heart issues..The pros of maintaining weight loss are very clear but I understand how hard it must be to break longstanding habits.

You are doing so well though, GG!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information