Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not doing very well….

Not doing very well….

Hi guys. So I’m currently doing my therapy, I’m only one session in but work in progress.

I had my hand on my throat and thought what I felt was a lump, it wasn’t, it was my normal neck. But I actually got that panic fear, I had to rush to the toilet it was that bad.
    Now I’m shaking and feeling awful, and I keep poking my neck to make sure.
    I had a sickness bug over the weekend which has shot my anxiety up.
    I thought I was feeling okay, my breathing thing had totally gone away apart from the odd moment.
    Now I’m obsessed with my neck

Re: Not doing very well….

I think it is normal for people to feel a little worse when they start therapy as you are challenging your fears.

This is easier said than done, however you need to look at this logically.

You have said that it isn't a lump. So now you need to relax and resist the urge to keep checking.

Even if you found a lump, it isn't forced to be anything sinister. You just go to the doctors and get it checked. Why worry until you need to?

I know it is early days in your therapy but try and apply the strategies you have learnt so far. Write down your experience and go over it with your therapist.

When you are panicking take a moment to take some deep breaths and calm down.

I hope you feel better soon.

6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlobo View Post
    Hi guys. So I’m currently doing my therapy, I’m only one session in but work in progress.

I had my hand on my throat and thought what I felt was a lump, it wasn’t, it was my normal neck. But I actually got that panic fear, I had to rush to the toilet it was that bad.
    You're only one session in. It's not an instant fix..

Now I’m shaking and feeling awful, and I keep poking my neck to make sure.
    Not a good idea. Prodding and poking at ourselves equals soreness (obviously) which equals an increase in HA thoughts and anxiety symptoms of the throat (and everywhere else) - and these feed directly into your throat fear because HA is all about making connections which aren't there..

I had a sickness bug over the weekend which has shot my anxiety up.
    This is to be expected. This happens to me and I'm in control of my HA. Illness/pain increases my anxiety but I don't add fear/irrationality to the mix - and that's the difference between controlling HA and not.

I thought I was feeling okay, my breathing thing had totally gone away apart from the odd moment.
    Keep reminding yourself of this. ^^^^^

Now I’m obsessed with my neck
    Discuss this with your therapist next time. You can work out how you could handles this differently. So try and see this as an opportunity to learn?

Hi Chlobo
    all of us on here fear the big c,including me,however after decades of worry what happens?i Out of the blue i have a stroke,it just goes to show life can throw a huge curve ball,so all the checking in the World did not prepare me for stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by sheena1946 View Post
    Hi Chlobo
    all of us on here fear the big c,including me,however after decades of worry what happens?i Out of the blue i have a stroke,it just goes to show life can throw a huge curve ball,so all the checking in the World did not prepare me for stroke.
    Hi Sheena, I'm sorry to hear about your health issue, and I hope you're doing Ok? But you might want to consider that this is an anxiety forum and that the OP has severe health anxiety? I've no doubt that your intention was good but maybe you can you see how your comment could be triggering - not only to the OP - but to other HA sufferers on here?

Hi Nora,
    i fully understand that this is an anxiety site,i have suffered debilitating h/a for more than 40years.I take some of your point on board and i am sorry if the post has caused upset.My point was that we are all in the same boat on here and that poking and prodding our bodies only heightens our fears and keeps worry in the forefront of our minds.
    However i am doing ok thank you for asking Nora.

Quote Originally Posted by sheena1946 View Post
    Hi Nora,
    i fully understand that this is an anxiety site,i have suffered debilitating h/a for more than 40years.I take some of your point on board and i am sorry if the post has caused upset.My point was that we are all in the same boat on here and that poking and prodding our bodies only heightens our fears and keeps worry in the forefront of our minds.
    However i am doing ok thank you for asking Nora.
    I didn't think it was a trigger. You're right. You could be the most hyper-vigilant person in the world but shit happens. Heck, you could be lost in your mind thinking about this pain or ache or whatever while crossing the street and get hit by a car for goodness sakes! The constant self-examination just keeps you in the cycle of worry. Take a look at the OP's post history and you'll see this has been an ongoing issue for many years. Add to that some personal life issues she's facing and here you are. It still comes down to taking personal responsibility and actions. No amount of advice/words on a screen can do that. Glad to hear you're doing well.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks for the replies to my post.
    Strokes do worry me, sometimes I get tingles and I feel like my facial muscles are weak or not as reactive. But it is a feeling.
    Last night I was lying on my side with my phone in my hand, I’m thinking it was a rather awkward position for my hand to be in, I was holding my wrist and had sort of tense while I was using my thumb to look through social media.
    Well my hand just suddenly gave way and dropped. I panicked and lifted my hand and arm to make sure I could move them and I can. Just my arm feels a bit weak. I’m really worried about what happened

I wonder could it of been a nerve? My wrist just sort of gave out. I’m very sensitive to any thought of neurological issues. Fishman could you help with this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Chlobo View Post
    Fishman could you help with this one?
    Sorry....I'm not going to feed your dragon Chlobo. You're really in a rabbit hole and words on a screen won't get you out. It has to come from within you. You've managed to do it for three years before. Go back and start practicing the things you did then.

FMP
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information