Thread: Stopping Propanolol

Stopping Propanolol

This is really me clutching at straws. But up until 2 weeks ago last Friday I was taking 20mg propanolol (not slow release) at bedtime. I stopped when I went on holiday basically because I forgot to take them with me/they fell out of my bag. I was still taking 25mg promethazine which helps with sleep.

Ok so over the last week after feeling pretty good on holiday I have started to feel more and more anxious and the last couple of nights my sleep has been about 6 hours.

I know it's a very slim chance, but could this be withdrawal from the propanolol? I know it's probably not, and I know I'm just trying to justify why I'm feeling so crap.

Re: Stopping Propanolol

Quote Originally Posted by Catkins View Post
    Ok so over the last week after feeling pretty good on holiday I have started to feel more and more anxious and the last couple of nights my sleep has been about 6 hours.

I know it's a very slim chance, but could this be withdrawal from the propanolol?
    Probably not. Propranolol has a very short half-life, about 4 hours, so all of it is usually metabolised and eliminated in under 24 hours. Withdrawal effects usually begin before the last of a med is eliminated. Propranolol does have distinct withdrawal symptoms but they are mostly effects on the cardiovascular system such as spikes in blood pressure which is why it should be weaned off over a few days, not stopped cold.

I think the anxiety is just the disorder reasserting itself. The insomnia won't be helping either, although which is the cart and which the horse can often be hard to pin down.

Re: Stopping Propanolol

I kind of knew I was kidding myself, it was a very long shot.

Thread Information