Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible breast cancer….would I cope?

Possible breast cancer….would I cope?

Hi. I’m going to breast clinic next week. Left breast always very tender, if dog jumps up or grandchild leans in, it’s so painful. Slept in bra for a few weeks and noticed where the wire had been was very sore inside so ignored it but it didn’t go so made a drs app. He checked and although it made me almost jump off the bed, he said he couldn’t feel any lumps but as it was also very tender on right side too he thought costocrondrosis was a possibility. As I hadn’t had a mammogram for a few years, he said he’d send me for a routine app but the letter came yesterday and he had referred me as an urgent!! The letter said your dr has referred you for an urgent app as you may have cancer! So now I’m really panicking…. I did have ultrasounds but no biopsies for a couple of previous mammograms but all were ok. To say my life is stressful at the moment is an understatement. Son is going through a bit of a breakdown, my Mum is in a Nursing Home and is an anxious wreck all the time so she would go to pieces if I’ve got cancer. I’m an only child so it’s all down to me and I’m cracking up, I had a breakdown earlier this year so am just about recovered but this is now impossible to cope with. I’m terrified how I’d cope with chemotherapy. I don’t cope well with illness at all and I’m such a negative ninnie. I’m 65 so know that cancer is a strong possibility at my age but I hope that if it is, it is treatable and that it won’t be stage 4 or worse. Thanks for listening. 😢

Re: Possible breast cancer….would I cope?

To me this sounds like a mix up in communication. Your doctor said he couldn’t feel any lumps and that the mammogram was “non urgent”….. somewhere along the line this became “urgent”, but it cannot be because of anything seen or felt because otherwise your doctor would’nt have said what he did.

It'll be your age that will trigger the fast track appointment. It can act in your favour with HA because it avoids the long wait. I'm 62 and have had many fast track appointments. Your GP wouldn't mislead you by telling you one thing and suspecting another.

I would expect to have a mammogram suggested to you when there though because you are due one.

Thanks ladies. I hope so. I know he looked at the reports from my previous mammograms (bits of calcification but nothing abnormal supposedly)but then I thought maybe he reviewed them again later when writing the letter of referral and saw something he thought may require the urgency in view of the fact that I hadn’t been for a few years. It’s just my HA mind going to worst case scenario as usual.

Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Justanutter View Post
    Hi. I’m going to breast clinic next week. Left breast always very tender, if dog jumps up or grandchild leans in, it’s so painful. Slept in bra for a few weeks and noticed where the wire had been was very sore inside so ignored it but it didn’t go so made a drs app. He checked and although it made me almost jump off the bed, he said he couldn’t feel any lumps but as it was also very tender on right side too he thought costocrondrosis was a possibility. As I hadn’t had a mammogram for a few years, he said he’d send me for a routine app but the letter came yesterday and he had referred me as an urgent!! The letter said your dr has referred you for an urgent app as you may have cancer! So now I’m really panicking…. I did have ultrasounds but no biopsies for a couple of previous mammograms but all were ok. To say my life is stressful at the moment is an understatement. Son is going through a bit of a breakdown, my Mum is in a Nursing Home and is an anxious wreck all the time so she would go to pieces if I’ve got cancer. I’m an only child so it’s all down to me and I’m cracking up, I had a breakdown earlier this year so am just about recovered but this is now impossible to cope with. I’m terrified how I’d cope with chemotherapy. I don’t cope well with illness at all and I’m such a negative ninnie. I’m 65 so know that cancer is a strong possibility at my age but I hope that if it is, it is treatable and that it won’t be stage 4 or worse. Thanks for listening. 
    It's possible he marked it as urgent so that you'd get an appointment sooner, not that it's actually very urgent. With the huge backlog that's been caused by the pandemic, waiting lists have become impossibly long, so a lot of GP' are marking things as urgent to make sure you get an appointment within an appropriate time.

It was just a shock to find he’d marked it as urgent when he told me it would be classed as routine.

Hi ladies. Thought it would be polite to pop back and update you as you were so kind as to respond to my panic. Had a thorough check up at Breast Clinic. All well apart from Mastalgia, common inflamed breast tissue. Gosh, did that mammogram hurt….but again, thankful nothing serious. Will definitely not miss my next one.

Thank you once again.

Excellent news!

Thats fantastic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information