Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mammogram Scare

Mammogram Scare

Hi all. Looking for a bit of reassurance. I've had Health anxiety since I can remember, triggered by my mom dying of cancer in 2004(she was 45). Since then I've convinced myself I've had just about every type of cancer.

Earlier this year, my older sister(age 36) was diagnosed with breast cancer. I did a good job of holding it together, it didn't send me spiraling. She's since completed treatment and has a clean bill of health. My family was very relieved.

I recently went in for my well-woman's exam and had a pap, clinical breast exam, the whole shabang. Everything was normal. While there I mentioned my sisters diagnosis and my doc recommended I start early mammograms(I'm 33). She scheduled my first screening mammogram for me and I had it done about a week ago. I received a call from the doctors office a few days later that they wanted me to come back in for additional imaging on the right breast for "focal asymmetry" in the lower inner quadrant. Now that of course sent me spiraling. I have read that it's very common for people to be called back, especially people with dense breasts like me, and especially after a first time mammogram. Still, I can't help going to the darkest place. I don't think I feel anything different when I do a self exam, though my right breast is ever so slightly bigger than my left. I also have a history of fibrocystic changes. I had a breast ultrasound when I was 30 and everything was normal.

I know the odds would play in my favor that everything is normal, but that's not how anxiety works. Help?

Re: Mammogram Scare

Those callbacks are super scary. I’ve had several of them. Would it help you to know that none of my call backs ever amounted to anything?

I also had a breast lump (which I found myself) that I had to get removed. The docs couldn’t tell what it was from the biopsy, so I had to get the whole thing out. It wasn’t cancerous either.

I think that for most of us, all this testing translates into lots of worries but not cancer.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. I bet you’ve just got dense breasts and another look will clear it up.

Best,
    Debbie

Thank you Debbie, that does help.

It's helpful to think about the statistics and that 90% of callbacks are nothing to worry about. And of the 10% that result in biopsy, only 2% lead to a possible diagnosis.

I should also note that I've had genetic testing and I don't have any gene mutations associated with an increased risk.

It'll be a rollercoaster till Monday but I can make it.

I like your positivity. Sometimes when I have a scary test coming up, I plan a fun celebratory dinner afterwards. It helps me to be positive.

Be well 😁

That's a great idea Debbie.

Thing is, if by any chance there was something sinister (and it isn't that likely as you know) then it's been found extremely early and you would have a good prognosis.

I will be thinking of you, and I'm praying that it will be good news. x

Ahh I also love that idea Debbie! My step brother's wedding is the 7th, 3 days after my follow up, so that's something to look forward to!

I appreciate you both so much for your comments. It helps so much to just be heard, let alone graced with such thoughtful replies

I will update on Monday!

Yes, update us. Ill be looking for your post. 🤗

Hey there LD - just wanted to add that my mom gets called back after every single mammogram for a “second look”. She also has fibro cystic breasts. Nothing has ever come of any of those callbacks.

it’s super easy for me to say because I’m not the one getting called back, but I feel like it’s a good thing they do this. They’re being extremely thorough and wanting to establish a good baseline for you since this is your first one. I really think all will be well!

Please let us know how you get on..I agree with everyone's comments in that you're young with dense breasts and this is your first mammogram. I think you need the extra support at this stage and your team is being very meticulous but of course extra monitoring will set off your anxiety particularly in view of your sister's recent diagnosis. I'm very pleased to hear that her treatment was successful.

Good luck for Monday and I hope you don't have to wait too long for the assessment.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information