Thread: Blood pressure readings

Blood pressure readings

Ok. I get anxious over bp machines at the doctors. I have an apt Friday & take my BP at home for two weeks previous. Im already feeling myself anxious over the upcoming apt & im seeing it my numbers. Which adds to it. For instance this mornings readings

1.136/86
    2. 123/87
    3. 119/82
    4. 117/82

The top 2 freak me out. And leave me not even trusting the last 2. All taken 3 mins apart.

Re: Blood pressure readings

Quote Originally Posted by Heather1234 View Post
    Ok. I get anxious over bp machines at the doctors. I have an apt Friday & take my BP at home for two weeks previous. Im already feeling myself anxious over the upcoming apt & im seeing it my numbers. Which adds to it. For instance this mornings readings

1.136/86
    2. 123/87
    3. 119/82
    4. 117/82

The top 2 freak me out. And leave me not even trusting the last 2. All taken 3 mins apart.
    I wish I had readings like this! Nothing to worry about at all!

Thank you for the reassurance. I wish I didn't let it consume me. I just took my BP again & it was lower over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather1234 View Post

1.136/86
    2. 123/87
    3. 119/82
    4. 117/82
    You don't have high blood pressure.

I have 'white coat syndrome' so my readings are always much higher in the surgery than at home but my first one at home is always higher too. You have anxiety so that will up your BP a little. Try and do some deep breathing before you take your reading. Don't drink coffee etc and make sure you are positioning your arm correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    You don't have high blood pressure.

I have 'white coat syndrome' so my readings are always much higher in the surgery than at home but my first one at home is always higher too. You have anxiety so that will up your BP a little. Try and do some deep breathing before you take your reading. Don't drink coffee etc and make sure you are positioning your arm correctly.
    Thank you. I have my appointment at 2 today so im already feeling the anxiety. However your words really help me. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Why do the top two numbers freak you out? According to the readings you posted, you do not have high blood pressure.
    Remember blood pressure increases with activity and anxiety. If you want an accurate reading sit down and wait at least 5 minutes before you take a reading. Don’t talk etc just sit there quietly, relax and proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Careful1 View Post
    Why do the top two numbers freak you out? According to the readings you posted, you do not have high blood pressure.
    Remember blood pressure increases with activity and anxiety. If you want an accurate reading sit down and wait at least 5 minutes before you take a reading. Don’t talk etc just sit there quietly, relax and proceed.
    You are so right. My BP was high in the office, but the dr wasn't concerned. She barely even looked at my obsessive bp recordings from home.lol im learning ill always find a reason to be anxious apparently. I've already moved on to a "baseline chest xray" she had me do, but won't know the results for a few days at least.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Honestly none of those are bad readings at all. I've had higher and lower readings than all of those!
    I can absolutely sympathise with you though. After having a scare once and reading fairly high I got all worried and everytime I took it it would be higher than it used to be -but then subsequent times it would get lower. Usually if you're all anxious it goes up and then as you calm down it goes down. The best time to take it is when you know you are chilled -relaxing in bed or reading/watching a calm TV show r something.
    Then don't pressure yourself -you can think well it'll probably be higher the first time but that's because I'm anxious about it. Then as you calm it'll go down. Remember BP is not a stable entity -it goes up and down even by the minute so try not to worry too much about numbers.

Thread Information